Canon CanoScan 9000F Mark II

Swordfish

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8750 and G 3501
Hi,
Anyone with experience of using CanoScan 9000F ? Having trouble with bad scanning results.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Having trouble with bad scanning results.
More information is necessary to help.

• What computer operating system?
  • What software for scanning and the settings used?
  • What are you scanning and the type of media it is on?
  • What are the bad results? Describe and upload an image.
  • Has the scanner ever given you good results? When did this change? Anything else change around that time?

Swordfish

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8750 and G 3501
What computer operating system? Win 7(64)
What software for scanning and the settings used?
- Canons own utility comming w the scanner.
What are you scanning and the type of media it is on?
- B/W and col. neg:s mainly.
What are the bad results? Describe and upload an image.
- Over all bad sharpness regardless the scanning resolution. 4800 dpi gives not better images than 1200.
Has the scanner ever given you good results?
- No really. I think the scanner is not acually suitable for scanning negatives or slides.
When did this change? Anything else change around that time?
- I have made a few comparative tests with my old EPSON Perfection3200 Photo and it gives excellent results. I will probably go back to it.

Regards from
Stockholm, Sweden

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I Googled "CanoScan 9000F poor sharpness" and read through a number of links. Seems you are not the only one with a sharpness issue with that scanner. Many opinions and a few things to try, like turning off everything but unsharp mask, use some sort of fluid between the negative and the platen glass, and even shooting your negatives with a digital camera.

TS560x560~2445955.jpg

TS560x560~894719.jpg

The above images came from a thread that I found a fellow Swedish person - blåland - addressing your issue. See his post about 3/4 down the page here.

More of same on softness issue here.

Here is a page that discusses your scanner and settings. Maybe his settings will help you.

Here's a link where a guy says (post #6) that Nikon software doesn't play nice with Windows 7. This was back in 2013 and may no longer be valid, if it ever was.

Some have suggested a different scanning software, like VueScan, though if the scanner is technically deficient then even the best software will have a tough time overcoming certain deficits without introducing other artifacts.

These are from just the first few links on Google, but the issue seems a common complaint. Check out Google as there may be more info since I only read through the first six links.

Unfortunately, if you cannot find a reasonably solution then it's back to your Epson scanner or shell out more money for a better dedicated film scanner.

Latest posts