Canon Black ink

peterroyphotographer

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro100
Hello All, I am a Horse racing Photographer in Far North Queensland Australia, I print with canon pro 100 using OEM inks. My clients love my prints with a black background. My question is, would i be able to use the new canon OEM bottled black ink without a detrimental effect to my prints? At the moment my black ink usage is about 4x the other inks, just trying to be more cost effecting.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Please be aware that Canon delivers different types of inks with various Megatank printers, some are a set of CMY dye inks like the GI-60 inks or GI-61, together with a pigment black for text print. These inks are not usable for photoprinting, the longevity of the dye inks is poor, and there is no dye black for prints on glossy papers. But I see that Canon has released recently a Megatank photo printer GI-660 , the only Megatank printer which uses a set of Chromalife 100 dye inks incl. a dye black. This printer comes with the GI-63 inkset , and this is the only usable one for your plans to refill these inks into the Pro-100

https://www.canon.com.au/about-cano...high-quality-solution-for-home-photo-printing

You can use the other available ink colors from this GI-63 inkset as well for refill, you are not the only one around the world, the G650 is already on the market in Europe since a year.

Last edited:

peterroyphotographer

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro100
Thank you for your input, i was aware that i needed to use the chromalife 100 black ink. i would also ask would i loose any fade resistance by using that ink over the OEM pro 100 black

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
It's the Chromalife 100 dye black, several tests last year have shown that this GI53 (in Europe)GI63 (in your area) is very much compatible and equivalent with the Pro-100 inks which Canon calls Chromalife 100+ - the + sign most likely only for the additional colors gray and red. There is no other Canon compatible 3rd party ink on the market which matches the Canon inks or even comes close to its fading performance. But if you have problems or concerns in this respect you rather may look to switch over to pigment inks which typically perform better - for most ink/paper combinations. You may have a look to my recent evaluation

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/do-pigment-inks-fade-slower-than-dye-inks.15466/post-134803

Not all inks perform alike - there are wide variances between different ink families

the fading very much depends as well on the type of paper - and the actual mode of displaying a print - under glass - or not etc - just check the WIR test reports linked in that posting

Latest posts