Canon Black ink fade test..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Very interesting indeed !

Seems the Canon bottled pigment ink is worse than the 3th party inks I always used in my photo printers, in particular the yellow.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
@palombian - If you want to read more about the performance of dye vs. pigment inks you may have a look to this thread

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...-fade-slower-than-dye-inks.15466/#post-134801

Seems the Canon bottled pigment ink is worse than the 3th party inks I always used in my photo printers, in particular the yellow.
The essence is simple - it all depends on the ink/paper combinations - a general statement that pigment inks last longer than dye inks is a myth

in particular the yellow.
The color with the most problems is yellow indeed, you may have a look to this report

https://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/compare-k3-hd-ex-ink-sets/

and the above mentioned WIR report show the wide varations you can get with different inks and different generations - the performance of Epson inks - HDX vs. K3 is improving - about doubling - and the performance of Canon inks - Lucia Pro vs. Lucia inks is dropping by almost half , and HP inks are leading by far.

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/Can..._and_Photo_Papers_Final_Report_2020-06-01.pdf

So much about the performance of pigment inks - so again - it is a myth that pigment inks perform better than dye inks - you even have wide variations amonst the listed pigment inks. And these reports just deal with OEM inks - 3rd party pigment inks - InkTec - PC - Vermont inks via Inkjetmall - and all the others - are not covered at all - we don't know anything about the performance of these pigment inks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
it is a myth that pigment inks perform better than dye inks
I would have argued with you on that one, but the facts are plain to see.. poor formulated pigment inks are not what they report to be, just like 3rd party dye inks, and the users can’t tell the difference.

I have just started a new test on how the Canon 56 pigment inks fair against 3rd party pigment inks from OctoInkjet, the Maxify Verses the Pro 10.. One against one..

P.S. I won’t be buying any more Canon OEM inks..
we don't know anything about the performance of these pigment inks.
Very true indeed..

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I haven't really tested pigment inks very much for fading, I'm afraid it's at least as complex as with dye inks, and @The Hat is becoming the Myth Buster now..........
The WIR reports show that their performance rating depends very much on the paper used - very similar as with dye inks, but Canon or Epson tell us in their marketing postings that the pigments are sitting on top of the paper coating - so how then can the paper have such an impact onto the overall performance - there must be some more interaction between the coating and the inks with the pigments..

I have just started a new test on how the Canon 56 pigment inks fair against 3rd party pigment inks from OctoInkjet, the Maxify Verses the Pro 10.. One against one..
Canon calls their pigment inks for the Pro1000 etc 'Lucia Pro' inks, a name like Chromalife 100(+) for their dye inks.

Not all dye inks for the Megatank printers are these Chromalife inks - only for the G550/650 so I can easily assume that the pigment inks for some printers are not Lucia Pro inks either.

Epson has two ranges of pigment inks - Ultrachrome HD(X) and Durabrite for desktop printers mainly tuned for use on plain or matte paper as Epson explains it - and yes - the Durabrite black is a matte black , a glossy black is not even available, and the CMY inks show more gloss/bronzing effects than the Ultrachrome inks on glossy papers. But I never tested them for fading.

It's easy to run a fading test with an Inktec dye ink and Inktec pigment inks - they'll perform better than the dye inks but it is just not possible to generalize such finding to cover all the inks of all other suppliers.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
@The Hat, your test of the Canon 56 inks are disappointing but take into account that you used that crappy Lidl/Sihl/United Ofice paper. Years ago I tested this paper vs. Epson Glossy with the same set of third party dye inks. Both papers faded of course but the United Office did it five times faster than the Epson. Now that was third party dye ink and we can't extrapolate the results to OEM pigment, but I suspect that the GI-56 ink would perform much better on good quality paper.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
It's always the ink/paper combination which needs to be judged and not just the ink alone, and a change of the paper may improve the pigment ink performance but as well the dye ink performance so that the overall ranking may remain the same at the end.

Lidl sold different types of glossy papers with their private label 'United Office', they started off with a lower level cast coated paper type, pretty weak in all respects incl. small gamut, not a good black level and pretty fast fading of the ink in test, Lidl switched over to the Sihl 0769 Quickdry some time later, I got both paper types via mail order and know the differences. Aldi Sued started off as well with a cast coated paper type, and Aldi Nord only sold the PE/RC QuickDry from Sihl or the Netbit PE/RC but never a cast coated paper, both of the these papers perform quite similar.
Aldi Nord sold the Sihl 0769 paper as well in a few other countries like Belgium, The Netherlands or Ireland.
@Artur5 - you probably got the early Lidl cast coated paper - yes - that was a pretty weak performing paper overall. and the Sihl paper needs to be judged by its price/performance - it was by far the cheapest PE/RC paper with 10 cts/sheet overall but Aldi does not sell it anymore since years, prices went up from 12 cts/sheet to about 30 cts/sheet in the Sihl online shop and is not available anymore.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
but take into account that you used that crappy Lidl/Sihl/United Ofice paper
If Canon advertise and sell their ink to preform only on their own branded paper then that's a Feckin joke, that's like saying, Ford cars that can only use Ford oil, if Canon ink can’t preform on other brands of paper then the ink isn’t much good for anything..

Remember Canon ink is supposed to be better than all the other 3rd party pigment inks out there, but yet in my tests with I.S. DYE, it could match Canon Pigment ink on the Sihl glossy paper, now if I re-tested on Canon brand paper, I bet the I.S. DYE ink would still perform just as well..
Aldi does not sell it anymore since years, prices went up from 12 cts/sheet to about 30 cts/sheet in the Sihl online shop
Lidl still sell the United Office Sihl glossy paper here in Ireland @ €4.99 a box of 50..

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Lidl still sell the United Office Sihl glossy paper here in Ireland @ €4.99 a box of 50..
That's a very good deal - I only see an Ebay-UK offer with 50 sheets for L16,99 - that's coming closer to the last prices in Germany.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
If Canon advertise and sell their ink to preform only on their own branded paper then that's a Feckin joke, that's like saying, Ford cars that can only use Ford oil, if Canon ink can’t preform on other brands of paper then the ink isn’t much good for anything..
Who said we must use only Canon paper on Canon printers? Not me. I use mostly Epson, Ilford or Rauch media but
never in my life I purchased a box of Canon paper. My only experience with Canon are the sample sheets included with the Pro-9000 and Pro-10. That Lidl/United Office that I tried years ago was a gift of my brother who saw the paper so cheap at Lidl, that he couldn't avoid getting a few boxes.
Back to the point, IMHO is not fair to assess the performance of one specific inkset based solely on the results obtained on the cheapest glossy media available. Ford cars can use any kind of oil, but we better get a decent brand.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have not seen United Office photo paper in Lidl DK for years.