Canon ARC ??

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I have set running right now on test. They are recognized by the printers and my sets have been problem free so far.
The only issue I notice is that on one printer some flash even though it is full and on another the same cartridge does not flash. Despite that they both work and levels are shown BUT as with all chips the ink levels are estimated only. I will attribute the flashing issue to different firmware on various printers. So there could be some issues lurking but that is a guess.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
What exactly are these chips?

I have never used a printer that uses the chipped cartridges. If I got one of these printers and a set of these chips, would I replace the original chips in the Canon cartridges with these chips and then just refill like I would with unchipped cartridges?

Does the printer/cartridge make use of the prism to tell when the reservoir is empty?

If I refilled as soon as the reservoir was empty, would the printer/cartridge consider the cartridge to be full (just like the unchipped printers)?

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Seems superfluous to me. I think I'd rather have a resetter than mess with expensive, iffy chips. What if you like to keep several cartridge sets on hand for large print jobs..we'd need a few of these sets that sell for $60.00 per set?

Anyone see benefits that I'm not seeing?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Not sure how these chips works, but the best way is when the prism detects low ink it should trigger the chip to be read empty and when the cartridge is refilled the prism should give a signal to the chip and autoreset itself. If this is the case, than one would like to have a special bracket (like the GEHA/Armor tuning kit) permanently installed in the printer and use easy-to-deal-with non-chipped cartridges. No sensitive handling with delicate chips anymore.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I'll be honest I can't see any use for these chips when you have such a readily available and cheap resetter to hand.

Given the way HP and Epson chips work ARCs are essential for those model printers or you just don't get to print but with Canon they've left things open for you and been, dare I say it, far more reasonable in their approach to refilling. This is all relative obviously but I can't see an autoreset chip being of any use to anyone other than someone who is going through cartridges at a rate of 5 per hour in which case I'd question why they don't have a CIS.

RWP

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I can't see any use for these chips when you have such a readily available and cheap resetter to hand.
Isn't it hard on the cartridge seal having to remove the cart for a manual reset before each fill? What I like about compatible, refillable carts w/auto-reset chips is the ability to refill in-printer without disturbing the vulnerable cart-to-print head seal...

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
RWP

The method of moving ink in the Canon system is very different from that in the Epson system. It is rare that the seal will create a significant problem as the movement of ink is mostly by wicking from the sponge. On the Epson it is a solid column of ink and that is where air can be trapped and the refilling inside the printer can be a real advantage.

While you may be able to refill in the printer without getting into trouble now, that is not a recommended practice for the Canon system. If you do no not fill the tank fast enough, ink will leak at the nozzle plate and could cross over to the adjacent set set of nozzles and be absorbed UP into the other colors causing contaminated colors. However, if you are having luck with this method, you can choose to carry on but it does involve a level of risk.

RWP

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:
RWP

While you may be able to refill in the printer without getting into trouble now, that is not a recommended practice for the Canon system. If you no not fill the tank fast enough, ink will leak at the nozzle plate and could cross over to the adjacent set set of nozzles and be absorbed UP into the other colors causing contaminated colors. However, if you are having luck with this method, you can choose to carry on but it does involve a level of risk.
I haven't tried this method yet and will take your advice. Looks like Canon OEM carts are much easier to refill than Epsons. My previous assumption was soley based upon experience with Epson T48 carts, where the advice seems to be not to R&R them -- to preserve the seal. (BTW -- I love the Epson compatible filled cart and inkset you sold me two weeks ago. Works great!) :)