Canon A4 photo paper

duncan22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Canon photo paper is fairly expensive when compared with other makes. Is it worth the extra cost in using Canon paper ?
I Recall someone having major problems with a Canon printer with the black in prints coming out very poor to the point they assumed a problem with the printer.
On using Canon photo paper the problem went away!
No doubt many forum users have used different brands of paper and I would welcome comments from anyone using a Canon MP610.
The problem did not rest with the inks as they were Canon original inks.
Due to my location I would be sourcing paper in the UK.
Thanks

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I use a Canon MP600 and Hobbicolors inks.

I use only Unicorn (Swiss make) from Lidl and Tesco's own glossy paper. Both are instant dry and I have had no problems at all with them.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Duncan22,

I suspect you don not have a printer which possesses a black dye ink cartridge (CLI-8) only pigment black. Cheaper photo papers will not give good "black", because the mixing of C/M/Y inks to make up black is a mark of quality whether your ink is of good quality. If not the "black" turns to become more purplish or brownish.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I thought Duncan's post implied he had an MP610 printer, and that has got a black dye cart.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Pebe,

You're right. Just read over it and did not see that Duncan has a MP600 printer.

EdwardM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Duncan.
I can endorse Pebe's comments on Tesco glossy paper. It prints a tad too magenta on the default settings (on my ip6700d), but that's easily rectified in the printer driver. Using refilled carts & a home-made profile, I can get prints which beat the pants off expensive Kodak & Epson papers. Its also waterproof when fully dried, as I found out after getting some gunge on a print, & washed it off under the tap. No trace whatever of smearing. Paper a bit wrinkled, but print still immaculate.