Canon 3560 ink

ASL

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G3560
Hi, I have a Canon G3560 which is refilled from G51 Canon ink bottles.

I have purchased a G53 bottle (Colour black/BK) by mistake which I did not realise until I had opened the packaging. Does the forum happen to know whether the G51 and G53 inks are interchangeable?

Thank you for any guidance offered!

All the best

John

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I happened to get a G1520 Megatank printer for a while and will post some comments separately;

The G51 black is most likely pigment black and the G53 black is dye black..
Yes, the GI51 is pigmented, and the GI-53 of the G550 photo printer is a dye ink, but please be aware of one more detail - the GI-51 PGBK delivers a pretty weak - dark gray black print, the GI-53 as a dye ink from a photo printer delivers a much better black as measured. It's up to you wether you really need blacks to print with a pigment ink or you swap the GI-53 ink into the GI-51 bottle, it's easy with a long needle.
I had another black pigmented ink available - the HP GT51XL which delivers a visibly better black, the prints with this HP ink look much more contrasty than with the Canon GI-51 PGBK black, this is visible as well on photo prints on normal paper.

ASL

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G3560
Hi

Thank you for the advice. I use the printer for work, mainly to print proof copies to check appearance before I issue the final document so neither archival quality or appearance is critical: generally the clients prefer a pdf.

I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be gumming up the works and killing the printer in an attempt to save a few pounds!

Thank you again

John