Canom IP4850 ink question

peperi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have to mount ciss on canon ip 4850, it have 5 cartridges, 2 black inks, one black and one photo black, i use universal pigment ink for ink jet printers, 6 color, but i have only one black, can i put that one pigment black ink in those 2 tanks-black and photo black, or i need to put one dye black and one pigment?

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
Pigment black ink is ONLY for the large black cart. If used in the small photo black cart it will clog the printhead. the Photo black cart uses dye based ink only.

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
1. It is not a good idea to use CISS in Canon printers with individual ink tanks. The seal between tanks and printhead is in general not good enough.
2. It is not a good idea to use pigment inks in CISS. In time the pigment particles may separate and clog lines.
3. ip 4850 can use pigment ink only in the big black cartridge. For thin cartridges it can take only dye inks.

As 1 and 2 are not absolute contraindication, 3 is. The printer is not designed to handle pigment ink instead of dye ink for 226/526 cartridges.

peperi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ok, thanks, i am a newbie in this....You tell me that its not good idea to put pigment ink in any ciss?
And one more question, how can i tell what kind of ink to put in different cartridges, hp xxx pigment or dye, epson xxx pigment or dye...?
If i understand good, there are printers/cartridges that can use either pigment or dye ink, and there are printers/cartridges that have to use some cartridges pigment other dye ink?
One example i will have to refill hp 301 cartridges, and i think that i can put pigment or dye ink, am i right?
If someone can explain to me, thanks in advance.

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
About CISS with pigment ink see here http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6163 in post #7.

For your second question as a general guide you can use corresponding dye ink in any cartridge no matter if the cartridge was supposed to use pigment ink (but do not switch back to pigment without flushing the cartridge first).

To see if you can use pigment ink the best is to look on manufacturer specifications for involved printer. Also you can search what kind of third party inks are available for a particular printer/cartridge. The type of ink is in general stated.