Can this CISS work ?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
ROFMAO...

I was about to say that it looked fine until I realised something wasn't quite right...

The pictures show that the air filters have been dropped into the ink filling hole while the travel plugs are still installed in the holes the filters are supposed to be in.

I guess it would work but it certainly won't be pressure balanced and based on what I know about the Canon printers and CISS systems you're talking a world of pain if/when the pressure rises or falls too much.

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
OH,

I forgot to mention the airfilters in the first post lol . . when i saw that picture I remembered the multi page discussion you did on this forum trying to solve the air pressure issues with canon heads.

If you scroll down to the bottom of that page you will see pics from another poster . . look at the ammount of air in the silicone tubing. he cannot print that way.

From your posts I can see you print a lot and was having problems with the ciss constant pressure. I just ordered a rihac ciss for a pixma printer. What is your opinion to date for a ciss installed on a canon printer (I don't print a lot and use the printer for 6x4 and 5x7 photo's) I ordered the ciss cos this damn printer (mp980) is an inkoholic and have to refill very very frequently the small 9ml carts

Thank You

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
SpideRMaN said:
I forgot to mention the airfilters in the first post lol . . when i saw that picture I remembered the multi page discussion you did on this forum trying to solve the air pressure issues with canon heads.
Don't remind me... :/

If you scroll down to the bottom of that page you will see pics from another poster . . look at the ammount of air in the silicone tubing. he cannot print that way.
I know, I spotted that too... I was wondering what on earth he was smoking tbh... Anyones guess what's going on but I'd imagine he was running on cartridge juice only and when that ran out it was going to be fried printhead time. :rolleyes:

From your posts I can see you print a lot and was having problems with the ciss constant pressure. I just ordered a rihac ciss for a pixma printer. What is your opinion to date for a ciss installed on a canon printer (I don't print a lot and use the printer for 6x4 and 5x7 photo's) I ordered the ciss cos this damn printer (mp980) is an inkoholic and have to refill very very frequently the small 9ml carts
Hmm... Well I have a number of Rihac kits but most of my problems with Canon printers were down to my self-built experimental systems... Even with the Rihac kits I tinkered and played and probably most important of all, I didn't have the inks that Rihac provides with its kits as standard. They test their stuff to destruction and at some point I'm going to grab in a small supply of their ink for a single iP4500 I have here so I can start over and see if it's just me :)

I do know that most folks who have taken the plunge have done quite well though so in this instance my experience probably counted against me.. N00bs only need apply :cool:

In terms of generality I can say that Canon printers are notoriously difficult to get a CIS kit running properly because of one thing and one thing only... The interface where printhead meets cartridges. On Epsons you have this deep dipping ink receiver that pushes up into a large area rubber seal in the cartridge. This makes the surface area, over which a seal is created, very large indeed.

The Canons have a thin plastic rim that can be dinted or damaged really easily and it's pushed (gently) down onto a rubber grommet that can easily sag or hold lint, dust, etc... The surface contact area is minute in comparison to the Epson and because it's so thin these sorts of problems, all create an air leak or weakness that allows air to be pulled into the printhead/cartridge instead of ink.

It's this major achilles heel that creates more problems than I know what to do with and a key reason why a pressure balanced reservoir is so important.

If I ever get time I will return to the fray with the two working printers I have left but hopefully that provides you with a bit of, albeit slightly dated, input.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
websnail said:
Rolling On Floor Making Awful ????

Even acronymfinder.com can't figure this one out. (Or maybe it's disallowed??)