Can someone explain using a chip-resetter with an ip4200?

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have been using and refilling a Canon MP780 successfully for a long while.I just got 2 (new in box)Canon ip4200's and wish to use refilled cartridges with them.I already have empty CLI-8 and PGI-5 chipped cartridges and know how to refill these with bulk ink.

I plan to get a resetter for the chipped cartridges.Here's my question:Will old(used) chipped cartridges...CLI-8 and PGI-5.....work just like a new cartridge in the ip4200 when reset with a chipsetter?Or are there quirks I need to know about.In other words,can you continue to use and re-use chipped cartriges over and over with a chipsetter?
Thanks!!!! Fred

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Avolanche,

yes you can without any problems until your chip will be worn out and gets "kaputt"...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Avolanche:

Follow the instructions that come with the resetter and you should be smooth sailing. Some early models malfunctioned or had premature battery failure, but most everyone seems to have no problems, especially with the re-engineered designs. As pharmacist said, the chip on the cartridge can fail too. Best to use OEM Canon cartridges for refilling.

One "quirk" is that certain aftermarket chips on cartridges are not compatible with resetters currently available. For more info see http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=2377&seite=4&t=das_zuruecksetzen_der_fremdpatronen. Use Google translate if you don't understand the chart. (http://translate.google.com/transla..._der_fremdpatronen&sl=de&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)

eBay has plenty of inexpensive chip resetters for sale. In general, there are red ones and blue ones. The red ones may be the first generation resetters and the blue ones may be second generation. The major differences are ease of replacing battery (s) (easier in the second generation resetters that have screwed-in bottoms), the number of batteries (one in the older model and three in the newer models), small changes in contact surfaces, and the warranty (depending on who you get the resetter from).

Instructions for use should accompany the resetter. It is quick and easy to use.

A quick check on eBay shows prices from $16.99 (free Shipping) on up. I bought the el cheapo blue one. It took about 2 weeks to be shipped from China/Hong Kong, something that wasn't advertised though now it says shipping source location. Anyhoo, it works great. A number of people here went for the resetter from Mapsy in Oregon, currently $23.55 (free ship), because she offers a 1 year warranty. I see the original chip resetter from Sudhaus is $20 (free ship). Then there are a few other knockoffs and even some more expensive AC wallwart industrial strength models if your going to do a LOT of resetting.

Lots to choose from and the ones I specifically named are probably safe bets. Whatever you end up getting, as long as it works, you will like it!

Aussieinker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Avolanche
I have been using a Redsetter on Ip4500 & Ip4200's for about 80 resets so far, the only problem I have encountered is the battery going flat. i do three resets then the resetter refuses to do anything until it has a rest, I took the resetter apart and found that the battery voltage was dropping from 3.3v down to 2.8v when the on/off switch was operated even with a new battery.
I dug out a 5vdc/1amp switch mode plug pak and put 3 IN4004 diodes in series with the + lead which gives a voltage drop of 1.8v this leaves 3.2vdc to run the resetter, it now will reset carts repeatedly. The diodes can be hidden away inside the resetter.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Thanks,guys!Sounds like I just need to order a resetter.

I was a little wary because I had read that you needed a NEW Canon(OEM) catridge in the printer at all times.I'll only be using Canon OEM's(CLI-8) ,anyway,but they will not be new.