Can Refilling Be Done With A Single Set Of Cartridges (on A Pro-100)

RogerR

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro-100
I've had a Pixma Pro9000 for about 6 years and was all set to refill...when the print head failed. I concluded that it wasn't a clog on 12/31 about 9 PM. I was sufficiently quick to order a Pro-100 as a replacement about an hour before the Adorama rebate ended. And I listed all my ink (9 OEM carts and a full refill kit from Precision Colors) on eBay.

I plan to use Precision Colors ink with the new printer. But, I'm only getting a single set of cartridges with my printer. Can I refill effectively with only one set of cartridges? Or do I really need two sets?

RR

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You most certainly can but it’s going to be slow auld process only filling one at a time.

The idea of having two sets is that when one of your eight cartridges shows low ink, you change all of them together for the second set and you only get one purge for the whole set, plus you can reset and refill at your leisure.

If you change them one at a time then the printer will purge that cartridge and all the rest of them as well, so change out eight carts (Singly) you get eight separate purges.

Another way would be to use your CLI-8 cartridges as a second set by just swapping over the chip each time you replace your cartridges.

RogerR

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro-100
How hard is it to change over the chips?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Changing over the chips is not difficult but it will take you some time to swap them onto a full set of CLI-8s for instance ( That is what you are thinking of doing right? )
I am getting by on one set at the moment but a good friend who will not be refilling his CLI-42s is going to provide me with some empties which will give a spare second set which is truly the way to go.
At this point I am letting one cart go to the YELLOW warning and that's when I reset and top off everything at once. It is a pain in the you know what!!!! But it's my only option at the moment. Sure I could simply buy a second ink set for more than I paid for one printer. NOT!!!

Joe

RogerR

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro-100
I'm thinking I'll get someone to buy me a second printer on the rebate deal. A second set of full carts, 50 sheets of paper, and a spare printhead&printer has got to be woth $100.:)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Very true.
The truth is I do have two more PRO-100s still in sealed in boxes but I really do not want to crack them open as I should be getting most of the carts I would need to complete a second set basically for free.
Initially I was going to use a couple of them simultaneously but I literally ran out of room. I got all 3 for just over $100 a piece locally from Craigslist sales.
If I do not quite put together a full second set then I'll just have to buy a couple of them to finish the 8.

Joe