Can i use epson black ink to refill black ink cartridge for canon printer?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
there are several physical parameters which are relevant, one more is the temperature at which the ink starts boiling - the principal mechanism to get the ink drops out of the nozzles - bubble/thermal printhead. I remember that I tested some Epson refill inks - the colored ones - not black - I swapped those in an IP4200 as I remember , and that didn't print at all - not more than just a few lines. Please be aware that the black pigment ink channel of Canon printheads runs with a higher droplet size than the color channels , and those use even several nozzle rows for different droplet sizes.
If you want to substitute the pigment black in the G-series printers with an Epson dye black it's fine if it works for you, but be aware that the Epson 664 inks and the G-series dye inks both don't have a good UV/fading performance.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I went ahead and tried Epson 664 BK ink for refilling a Canon PG-245 cartridge.
The Canon PG-245 uses PIGMENT Black ink. The Epson 664 uses DYE-based inks.

The Canon thermal print head heats up ink and spits it out onto the paper. Because of this, Canon uses a formula that takes into account the heating so as to keep the nozzles from overheating and delaminating.

The Epson uses piezo electronics in the print head and does not heat the ink. No special cooling formulation of the ink needed to protect the nozzles.

Be on the lookout for the dreaded vertical ellipsoid railroad track appearance of delaminated Pigment Black Nozzles. Also, note for double imaging to the left of the Pigment Black lattice grid. These are irreparable.

See the PDF image in Post #1 at

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...dlines-letters-and-barcodes-misaligned.10991/

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Has it been banned in Europe yet?
The decision making process is quite complex with such matters , they first need to establish a subcommittee in the environmental department which writes up a proposal to the EU commission and which gets rejected by the plenum in the first round.