Can I use Canon BCI-6 refill ink in a HP 45 cartridge?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Mr. Hat,
I've been looking at the Maxify printers, but Canon sez they don't have drivers for Windows XP. Do you know of anyone using them with XP?
Ops, :hide No but you seem to be the exception, you could try checking out a Win 7 32-bit driver... :hu

jbclem

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I don't know how I could check out the Win7 driver without first buying the Maxify printer. Are there any other Canon printers that are easy to refill and work with Windows XP? My main need is black and white text printing with occasional color, but no photo printing.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@jbclem, You don’t need to have the printer first to install the drivers, all the print functions and tabs will still be accessible, but of course you can’t print...
Would you not think prudent and advisable to upgrade your O/S FIRST...? :duc

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
@jbclem I downloaded the driver for the Maxify MB5420 from the Canon USA site. I then installed it on an experimental XP computer. The install program seemed to run normally on Win XP and I got this after selecting USB connection:

XP Maxify install.JPG

As I don't have a Maxify printer I cancelled the installation. I don't know what this is worth, but maybe the Maxify will work under Win XP with a driver for a newer Windows version?

Are you interested in some old info about refilling the HP 45 and HP78 cartridges? If so I will search my old downloads. Before buying a Canon printer I struggled with these and similar HP cartridges. Back then remanufactured HP cartridges were very popular as these cartridges are not easy to refill and get working reliably, to say the least.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Be prepared to upgrade your OS if you get any printer that you must use a printer driver designed for a newer operating system than your XP. Who knows what, if any, odd things may occur or expected things not occur.

It could work fine or not.

jbclem

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks PeterBJ...I would be interested in the HP 45 and HP 78 refilling information. I've been looking online for that information and it seems that there are now some tools for filling the HP 45 from the bottom and also removing air in the process...but I haven't found any instructions as to exactly how to do it or an alternate way. So if you can find some specific instructions that would be very helpful.

As far as the Maxify drivers go, I'm glad to know that they will at least install in WinXP. It's hard to know if that's a definitive answer to the question, and I'm not sure I will take a chance without knowing of someone who's actually using a Maxify on WinXP. Although the Maxify 2120 at $70 is tempting even though it's huge in size. I'm still looking for a Canon printer that would fit the bill, and I have no interest or need to stop using Windows XP (I tried Win7 on a computer I bought recently, what a disaster that was!).

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I have no interest or need to stop using Windows XP (I tried Win7 on a computer I bought recently, what a disaster that was!).
@jbclem, I’m surprised at your statement on XP, because you’re here seeking advice with printer problems and we are giving you our best suggestions to solve your current print issues, but you have now admitted to not being interested or bother about upgrading.:smack

Despite what you think, you can’t stay on XP, because there will come a time that nothing will work for you, and by that time Win 7 will have also been withdrawn, then what are you going to do... :hu

Please think about your current situation and reconsider upgrading for all our sakes...:hide
Dance like nobody is watching... encrypt like everybody is...:caf

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Here is a good instruction for refilling the HP 45 cartridge: http://www.hstt.net/news/download/Refill-FAQ-51645.pdf . Sadly it is in German and is a PDF file, so Google Translate cannot handle it and claims the site is too big to translate. But you can copy and paste the text in suitably sized chunks into Google translate and get a translation that way.

Notice that the HP 45 cartridge comes in two sizes normal and XL. The normal cartridge contains 21 ml of ink and the XL cartridge contains 42 ml.

The HP 45 cartridge is sealed with a stainless steel ball at approximately 5/32 " diameter. You should have a new sealing ball at hand before starting the refill. Some of the plugs that fit Canon single ink cartridges can also be used.

For removing air from the cartridge a priming tool is used like this. Some use the priming tool for injecting ink through the nozzles, and claim the cartridge is not damaged. I think this is not a good idea.

The HP 45 cartridge is difficult to refill but the HP 78 is worse IMO. My success rate with these cartridges was well below 50%.

There is also a good instruction for refilling the HP 78 cartridge: http://www.hstt.net/news/download/HSTT - Refillanleitung HP C6578.pdf It is also in German but this time Google translate translates the text but omits the images. A priming tool might also be needed for the HP78 cartridge, but I found none on the web. Here is a scan of an HP 78 priming tool, notice the bottom gasket with three holes so each nozzle set can be primed individually. Also included in the scan is a couple of canon plugs that fit the HP 45 cartridge.

HP 78 refill.jpg

But there is an alternative to the use of a priming tool. It is called "Jack's-Down-Under-Refill". The website doesn't exist any more, but The Wayback Machine finds it: https://web.archive.org/web/20050215025655/http://home.arcor.de:80/jackspage/rat78ne.html . And here is Jack's HP startpage: https://web.archive.org/web/20050215025646/http://home.arcor.de:80/jackspage/index4e.html

I wish you good luck with the refill, but these HP cartridges are not easy to deal with, how about looking for a good old refill friendly Canon printer at thrift stores, flea markets, Craigslist and similar?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Generally speaking, if you keep your XP computer disconnected from the internet, and never wired or wirelessly connected to a LAN that has a connection to the internet by some device on the LAN, then your outdated (no longer security updated by Microsoft) probably will not be a security threat to your data or become an infected zombie for DDOS attacks on others. Unfortunately, even air gaping your XP computer in this fashion may not protect you from exploits.

I never went the Windows 7 route. I upgraded from XP to Win 8 and now Win 10. Windows 10 is the most stable, versatile and powerful OS that Microsoft has made for public consumption. Sure, there are a few irritating things, such as a different way of accessing settings and the disliked forced update "feature". But the software is quite excellent in a number of ways and Google will easily find you the information to guide you on finding your way around the OS. And, Microsoft will continue to support it for a while unlike the unsupported XP. Your new Maxify printer will run like a top with Win 10.

(Win 10 Pro gives you the ability to not only delay certain updates but also remove and block from installing again certain updates. The Enterprise version of Windows 10 still gives you full control on updates.)

jbclem

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I found XP drivers for the Maxify MB2300...the MB2320 is available all over, but I'm not sure yet if the drivers would be the same. On Amazon there are a fair number of negative reviews.

Meanwhile, at the HP 1315 front, a new problem. The printer, after printing test prints with both the 45 and 78 cartridges installed, is now refusing to print anything, giving the error message that the color cartridge is incompatible. Both cartridges are HP originals that came with the printer, but had been refilled at Costco. This turns out to be a fairly common problem with these printers. And the person who gave it to me just remembered he had a similar problem two years ago which is why he stopped using it. Just forgot to tell me when he gave it to me.

I'm definitely looking on Craigslist for a Canon printer, but in the meantime I want to try to get this HP 1315 working. I want to try another set of HP cartridges but the choice seems to be new ones at $55 each, or expired ones on eBay for a much more reasonable price. Is there any reason a brand new HP 45, still wrapped but expired in 2014, wouldn't work. My HP CP1160 wouldn't work on cartridges x days after the expiration date on the cartridge, no matter what. I wonder if these are the same?