Can I override "scanner unit is not closed" error message?

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
I have an old artisan 710 that I think would print fine but the lid of the printer containing the scanner has been disconnected completely with a scissors (the tape that connects the scanner to the printer) so even though I can set the lid on top of the printer it doesn't recognize it and says it is open. Does anyone know if there is a way to override this message since I am pretty sure the printing function would work fine?
Thanks.
I'm a bit overwhelmed with the prospect of trying to clean my other printer so I pulled this old one out.

Ionlab

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF3540
On the scanner end of the "tape" check with a multimeter all connections looking whether there is an electrical short(circuit) when the lid is closed. If you find such a thing then just short the same connections on the printer side of the "tape".

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
Thank-you lonlab. I'm pretty sure this one is ready for the recycle bin. There seems to be another piece that is dysfunctional on the back of the printer.
I did get the printer that sprung a leak running again. I actually did not clean it that much - mostly just the resting pad. I found a piece of rubber and cut it enough to stuff it into the cyan cart and so far so good. I might write Leonard John and see if he has a new plug I can purchase.
I do need to get my act together and find someone with a drill who can help me install the printer potty. I have put that off too long.
Thanks for your help.