Can CLI-8 refill inks be used in CLI-42 carts ?

Vstrom

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Hi folks,

I've been lurking in this great forum for a while now, and learnt so much about refilling over the years.

Would be very grateful if the more experienced members could advise on my conundrum below

I've recently replaced my Canon Pro-9000 with a Pro-100, and intend to continue refilling.

From my old Canon Pro-9000, I have a "inherited" a load of:
- brand new, unopened Canon CLI-8 cartridges (over 20 of various colours)
- at least 250 ml of CLI-8 refill inks of each of the 8 colours

Was wondering if anyone knows / has an opinion on whether I can use my CLI-8 refill inks in the CLI-42 carts ?
I am aware that, if I did, I would need to do a chip-swap (use CLI-42 chips on the CLI-8 carts)

Apart from colour-matching, I am more concerned if the CLI-8 inks might somehow clog-up or harm the Pro-100 printhead (?)

Any ideas / comments / suggestions gratefully received - Thanks in advance !

Have researched online but have not found any definitive advice on this so far.

-------------------------------

PS: I'm also aware of the CLI-42 "Yellow-Jello" issue
And intend to use a chip-swapped CLI-8 cart (with either CLI-8 or CLI-42 refill ink)

PPS: Would be great if the CLI-8 colours matched CLI-42 too, so I can use the brand new CLI-8 carts (with chip-swap, of course)
Cheers

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I dontl have an answer about the ink but as ink is so cheap I'd be inclined to avoid trying it in the CLI-42 carts.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Was wondering if anyone knows / has an opinion on whether I can use my CLI-8 refill inks in the CLI-42 carts ?
@Vstrom welcome finally but glad you have joined us here from the fence.

The questions you ask are quite normal but the purist here might think your balmy to use CLl-8 inks in your new Pro 100, but I don’t, and it’s perfectly reasonable to want to use all that good ink..

There is no reason in the whole world as to why not, yes you’ll get a small colour shift but that’s to be expected and the printer can cope with that with just a few tweaks in Manual colour Adjustment / Printing Preferences.

The Yello Gello won’t be an issue unless you don’t flush the yellow CLl-42 cart properly if you decide to refill it, and swapping between the CLl-42 cart and CLl-8 cart won’t cause trouble either.

You coped well refilling carts for the Pro 9000, and as long as you follow the proper refilling procedures then no harm will come to your printer..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
In all likelihood, the color shift between CLI-8 and CLI-42 inks will be noticeable but not terrible ( unless you replace the CLI-42 grays with CLI-8 green and red ink... ;) )
As @The Hat said, a few tweaks in the color settings of the driver will fix 80-90% of the mismatch. If you want 100% accuracy, that would require custom profiles.

Vstrom

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Thanks for the advice & help, guys.

Am relieved that nobody (so far !) thinks the CLI-8 inks will cause any blockages in the CLI-42 printhead, which was my main worry.

As suggested by The Hat & Artur5, I can adjust for any colour casts when printing,
and my my eyes are still at a very amateur-rish level of discernment anyway !

Think I'll install all the new CLI-42 carts to begin with,
except for the Yellow - where I'll chip-swap into one of my brand new original Canon CLI-8 carts.

And then refill the Yellow with CLI8 inks thereafter, if no horrendous difference.

I've actually ordered a set of OctoInk CLI-42 inks, and will use these for the other colours later.

PeterBJ - thanks for the colour chart.
Have downloaded now & will use to test my Pro-100 when set-up.

Thanks again folks !

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
There is no reason in the whole world as to why not, yes you’ll get a small colour shift but that’s to be expected and the printer can cope with that with just a few tweaks in Manual colour Adjustment / Printing Preferences.

I learned something new thanks to @The Hat :thumbsup

Rob McAleavy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9000 Mark II, Pro 100 Epson
Hi folks,

I've been lurking in this great forum for a while now, and learnt so much about refilling over the years.

Would be very grateful if the more experienced members could advise on my conundrum below

I've recently replaced my Canon Pro-9000 with a Pro-100, and intend to continue refilling.

From my old Canon Pro-9000, I have a "inherited" a load of:
- brand new, unopened Canon CLI-8 cartridges (over 20 of various colours)
- at least 250 ml of CLI-8 refill inks of each of the 8 colours

I am aware that, if I did, I would need to do a chip-swap (use CLI-42 chips on the CLI-8 carts)

Apart from colour-matching, I am more concerned if the CLI-8 inks might somehow clog-up or harm the Pro-100 printhead (?)

Any ideas / comments / suggestions gratefully received - Thanks in advance !

Have researched online but have not found any definitive advice on this so far.

-------------------------------

PS: I'm also aware of the CLI-42 "Yellow-Jello" issue
And intend to use a chip-swapped CLI-8 cart (with either CLI-8 or CLI-42 refill ink)

PPS: Would be great if the CLI-8 colours matched CLI-42 too, so I can use the brand new CLI-8 carts (with chip-swap, of course)
Cheers

Yes you can absolutely use CLI-8 inks your Pro-100, and in particular, the carts are identical with special attention being the right sponges.

What you’ll be missing w/ using CLI-8 inks is the two lighter grays that are part of the CLI-42 ink set. Having those two additional grays gave us a noticeable improvement in B&W prints. Yes you’ll lose the slightly larger gamut by not using CLI-8 red and green. We run 4 Pro-100s and roll our own icc profiles w/ very expensive Xrite profiling equipment and software. We could NEVER get a really good B&W with CLI-8 ink set. With CLI-42 inset (ink2image or Precisioncolors - both very good) the two grays made all the difference and we now get spot-on color. Use good paper like Hahnemuhle, etc., a good/custom icc profile for your printer and paper combo, and you’ll see stunning (and accurate) results.

FYI - the CLI-42 (third party) inset delivers a larger gamut on Moab Entrada than Epson’s 8-color pigment set on a 4880. The point is that Moab Entrada “works” with dye based inks, but I wouldn’t say it “rocks it” like Hahnemuhle or other papers that really are optimized for dye based inks (and pigment).

All the third party ink manufacturers say you don’t need a new/custom icc profile. You do! And as you refill and replace carts you will find that your color varies both with the new refill, but also with time as the printhead ages. So keep an eye on print head alignment b/c is it moves and will alter your colors. And if colors get too out of whack after refilling and aligning, consider a new custom icc profile. We tend to make one about every third or fourth refill.

Good luck.