Can CLI-8 refill inks be used in CLI-42 carts ?

skyer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Better in which respect ? Do you have any evidence for it ?
Only the Canon claims and some reviews of people who wrote that the black ink in the CL100+ inks have become much better in terms of fade risistance.

skyer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
There is approx. 15 ml of ink inside the cart and only 4 to 5 ml in the reservoir, so by using your reckoning, your losing 8 or 9 ml, of ink that’s not good economics..
But I'm talking about extracting almost all the ink out of the carts, including the reservoir with a sponge. I'm planning to drill a hole in the top of the carts, then insert a syringe and suck the ink where the liquid is. Then I'll insert another syringe and press in some air into the cart, so that the ink from the sponge will drip out of the bottom whole into a prepared bottle because of the pressure.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
so that the ink from the sponge will drip out of the bottom whole into a prepared bottle because of the pressure.
Nope you can’t do that either, because you don’t understand how the Canon cartridge works with their patented two sponge system, they just don’t leak, I reckon you need to rethink your idea again.. Sorry...

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Only the Canon claims and some reviews of people who wrote that the black ink in the CL100+ inks have become much better in terms of fade risistance.
I'm not aware of such Canon claims that the Chromalife 100+ deliver a much better fading resistance than the Chromalife 100 inks, and the longevity of just black does not mean much for the fading of the CMY inks.

Extensive testing had been done by several forum members several times covering various fading aspects, inks and papers , this test cycle ran about 18 months ago

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...ng-test-update-18-june-2021.14742/post-128221

This table is just a snapshot of a longer running test covering both the 100 and 100+ inks - in various densities and summarizes colorimetric variations over time - here an exposure to ambient light up to a cumulated amount of 5,4 MLH - MegaLuxhours. Both inks - 100 and 100+ - have been tested on the same papers , and the DeltaE2000 variances are small and not relevant - most likley within the overall tolerances of the test setup and method. Much wider variations are caused by the different paper types, and the table shows exemplary the poor performance of some 3rd party inks at the lower end of the listing. Claims that the 100+ inks are superior to the 100 inks are not supported by this test at all. The + of the 100+ inks just indicate for me that there are a few more inks - gray and red - compared to the standard CMYK 100 inkset.

skyer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Nope you can’t do that either, because you don’t understand how the Canon cartridge works with their patented two sponge system, they just don’t leak, I reckon you need to rethink your idea again.. Sorry...
Once I refilled CLI-42 carts with PC inks. Before doing that I flushed them. Somehow I was able to make them almost free of any water. It's not that hard. Maybe 1-2 ml will still be there but I suppose that the rest of the ink can be extracted quite easily. There will be no need to keep that carts afterwards. So in the worst-case scenario, one can drill another hole in another chamber.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There will be no need to keep that carts afterwards. So
That’s the best part of the CLl-8 carts, you can use them till they are completely empty, so if you think you can do better then so be it, I have given all I can on this subject..

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just to interject, in terms of using CLI-8 cartridges and/or ink in the Pro-100.

1. Yes, swapping the chips so that CLI-42 chips are on the CLI-8 cartridges will work fine.

2. Sucking the ink out of the CLI-8 carts is possible but using a flush clip (or a modified orange clip) to attach to the cartridge outlet and then suck the ink out would be more effective than just a needle into the spongeless section.
Definitely need to profile though... Oh and watch out for cartridges that have been open to the air for years... you don't want to contaminate your stock with algae or similar.

Latest posts