Buying New Printer - with specific attributes

songkrai

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Short Version.

Looking for a 2 ink cartridge printer. One that can print normal business envelopes without taking the paper out and sliding tabs to edge of envelope every time to print an envelope.

Long Version.

I have an Epson Stylus C60 printer. Works perfectly for many years. This printer is basic and simple. Ink is inexpensive. The great feature of this printer is that I do not have to take out the paper (8.5 x 11) to print an envelope. I just place the envelope on top of paper in tray/feed and to the right and the envelope feeds perfectly straight. No sliding of plastic tabs. No removing of paper in tray/feed. Paper stays in and just place the envelope on top of paper and envelope feeds straight every time. Seems quite simple. Yet I cannot find any printer that does this currently - a new one.

Epson.

I contacted Epson USA directly by phone first then by US Mail. As I received conflicting information. Epson USA was very good and Customer Service contacted me. Twice. The bottom line from Epson USA is that Epson does not manufacture any printer today that does what the Epson C60 does. That every Epson printer today you have to take out the paper, place the envelope to right, and slide the plastic tab to touch the edge of envelope. None do what the C60 does. Epson does not make any printer where you can leave the paper in the feed and place an envelope on top of paper to right side and just print the envelope. In fact Epson USA Customer Service told me that my current Epson C60 is exactly the same as the new ones and that I must take the paper out and place the envelope to right and move tab over to right to print an envelope. Which is wrong. As I have had this printer for 9 years and I never taken the paper out and this C60 prints envelopes straight every time. Epson Customer Service did not believe me. Or their information was limited for an old Epson printer.

Question:

Is there any current any brand printer where one can leave the paper in the feed/tray and print an envelope? Is there any printer sold today that can print an envelope with the paper in the tray/feed? By paper I mean standard business size paper. Any brand. Preferably a two ink printer.

Most retail big box stores don't have a clue what I am talking about and have zero resources to find out. None of the reviews online mention this feature.

Epson was pretty good in that this C60 does work on Windows 7. And yes, I could obtain a used C60. But would prefer a new printer.

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I own a Canon MP640 multifunction printer and can load the bottom tray with letter sized paper and load the rear tray with 20 #10 envelopes at the same time. I choose which to print from from the printer driver. The MP640 is a 5 ink cart machine but you may want to investigate a Canon MX320 "Refurbished" All in One printer from Canon USA's site: http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_247754_-1 It is a 2 cart printer on sale for $29 with free shipping. That's pretty hard to beat in my book.

songkrai

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Canon MX320

Thanks for the information. I can't find out anywhere if the Canon MX320 requires one to take paper out to print an envelope. Any suggestions to look for this feature on the Canon MX320?

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
No, you do not have to take the paper out to print envelopes. The MS320 has 2 paper paths, one is the bottom tray which holds letter sized paper. The other is the rear paper tray. Envelopes can be kept in this tray all the time. Switching between paper sources is done through the printer driver software. In other words, you can print a letter and then print the envelope for it without touching either. As long as there is paper in the bottom tray and envelopes in the rear tray you are all set.

songkrai

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you.

Done deal.

And a bargain at that.

Fast responses much appreciated.

songkrai

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Mowerman90 said:
No, you do not have to take the paper out to print envelopes. The MS320 has 2 paper paths, one is the bottom tray which holds letter sized paper. The other is the rear paper tray. Envelopes can be kept in this tray all the time. Switching between paper sources is done through the printer driver software. In other words, you can print a letter and then print the envelope for it without touching either. As long as there is paper in the bottom tray and envelopes in the rear tray you are all set.
---------------------------------------

MX320

Well, I can't figure out how to print an envelope as stated above. The regular letter size paper goes in rear. Slide tabs to edge of paper. There is no bottom tray that I can see. In order to print an envelope one has to take out the letter size paper in rear then place envelopes in same spot in rear and slide tabs to edges of envelope. This is what I was trying to avoid with my original post.

A printer that one can leave the letter size paper in place and print envelopes - without taking the letter size paper out. My Epson C60 does this. And I can't find any printer out there that has this same feature as the old Epson C60.

I only spent $30.00 for this Canon MX320 so I am not out a lot of money. And I still have my working C60. I would like to purchase a new printer that has the features stated above - just like my old Epson C60.

Still looking.

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
MOST of the Canon printers have this feature (dual paper path). I guess that the MX320 does not.

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
My apologies songkrai. I truly thought that "all" Canon desktop printers had dual paper paths. I guess that only the more expensive models have that feature. Now that you are
in possession of this printer I believe you can still achieve what you want by setting up the Canon to print only envelopes and use your other printer for printing only letter sized paper.

songkrai

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Mowerman90 said:
My apologies songkrai. I truly thought that "all" Canon desktop printers had dual paper paths. I guess that only the more expensive models have that feature. Now that you are
in possession of this printer I believe you can still achieve what you want by setting up the Canon to print only envelopes and use your other printer for printing only letter sized paper.
Space limitations prevent two printers. Thanks.

My Epson C60 still works fine.

I will use this Canon MX320 until ink goes. Then donate to local schools. I kept box, CD/Software/Instructions.

I'm still looking for a new printer that allows paper to stay in and print envelopes. I'll keep looking.

Thanks.

songkrai

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I found this one.

HL-3040CN
Digital Color Printer with Networking
Estimated Street Price: $269.99*

LINK

Any other printers out there that do this?