Buying new printer - recommendations for one that's simple to refill

Jan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I already own a Canon Pixma ip 2000 and wish to buy another printer in the near future as we are buying a second PC. I really want a fairly basic/cheapish one,but the main criteria is one that has easy to fill catridges as the children get through quite a lot of ink doing homework, pictures, etc. I was going to go for a 3000 or 4000 but have just realised that these have been discontinued and replaced by models with chipped catridges. Can anyone suggest which printer I could get that will be easy to refill. Thanks.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
You may still find one of the previous generation printers. A few weeks ago I bought two new IP5000 printers and a friend also got one. They were at a San Francisco Staples store and in the Corte Madera (Marin County) store for $100. There was not a display unit out and these happened to be under the displays in factory sealed boxes with no sign or price tag. Today I was in CompUSA at Stonestown mall in San Francisco and saw an ip6000D - same situation with no display model or price tag. If you nose around the big box stores you may find one.

I'm sure that the aftermarket ink vendors will come up with refill instructions, carts, and inks very soon. The ip4200 is sometimes on one of the internet vendor sites for a good price. There is actually one vendor who is selling bulk inks for these printers, but there is no chip resetter yet like the ones sold for refilling Epson carts.

MowermanEd

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I too bought an ip5000 from Staples on closeout for $99. They had 2 left when I bought mine. I gave it to my daughter for Christmas. After the Holiday I went back to get the other one for myself and, of course, it was already gone, so I bought one for myself from Frys (Outpost.com) for $129 + shipping. It should arrive on Wednesday. Apparently, Frys still has these printers in quanity and they say they are availible for same day shipping. I buy my cartriges from http://private.abacus24-7.com/home.aspx? for $1.85 each and have been using these carts for well over 1 year without any problems. I used to refill my OEM carts with MIS ink but since discovering Abacus it's not even worth the aggravation in my opinion.

cd187

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Outpost.com has the Canon IP6000d Photo printer for 99.99 + shipping, as of this weekend. Not sure if Fry's has them as well. It has the BCI-6 carts that are easy to refill. Maybe too good of a printer for smaller kids, but the price is not bad.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4235794

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I went to Fry's this afternoon. I saw a pile of ip6000D refurbished selling at $69.95 there. I believe the price will remain unchanged until they are sold out. This is a good price. I don't think it will be there after the new year holidays.

Jan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, I'm in UK so wasn't able to follow up any of the offers, should have mentioned that originally, I suppose! But I have managed to pick up an IP5000 from Amazon in England. There was only one left. I rather think I've paid over the odds for it, but couldn't find anything anywhere else. Expect I'll get the money difference back in ink!! Ironic isn't it, but the last generation printers (even refurbished on ebay) seem to be commanding a higher price than the ones just out! I wonder why!!!!

While I'm on, can anyone recommend a UK ink supplier? Someone who sells ink that's OK for Canon. Now I've got the most expensive printer I've ever owned (only ever gone for basic ones before) I don't want to clog it up with universal ink. Thanks again.