Buying new printer??? please help...

cavvy999

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to buy a new printer. I have 2 that I am interested in. HP Photosmart C4180 and Epson CX3900. Does anyone know which one is better, in regards to ink usage?

My previous printer, which performed very well (except for ink usage), was a Cannon MP160. I need my new printer to print and scan as well as this one did.

Thankyou
Robyn

P.S. I need to buy it tommorow

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Why don't you buy them both from a store that will allow you to return them within 30 days for a full refund? Then test and compare them yourself and let us know what you decide.

Most of us on this forum would probably try to talk you into another Canon printer and do your own reinking so the cost of ink becomes unimportant. What happened to your MP160 that requires you to abandon it for another model?

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I agree with ghwellsjr, you would be better off to stay with the Canon, try the ip4300, but you can first get either of the ones you like, and after a couple of refills, you'll find they both are much harder to handle than the Canon.
The HP 4180 has a cartridge that only holds less than 10 mils of ink so that you have to change cartridges often and cannot handle big jobs like 100 pages of printing continuously. The Epson is easy for head clog after 2 refills if you don't use it often, you need a lot of head cleaning. And after you used either printers, if you don't like them, make sure you can exchange it for the Canon. Get the one that uses cli8 ink tanks, not the one with pg40 cartridges. Good luck with you printer shoping.

cavvy999

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your prompt replies. I think I will buy another canon again as I was very happy with it ...It was just the cost of the ink cartridges each time and then something has happened to the paper feeding mechanism and it won't feed the paper through. I guess I haven't done my own refilling as I wouldn't know where to start and have heard a few bad stories about going against canon ink...so I just wasn't game, although I must admit it was tempting but just not enough time to research what to do properly. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Robyn.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The MP160 is kind of like most HP printers in that it has two cartridges, one for black and one for the three colors. It doesn't hold much ink and the cartridges are expensive. You will find that the iP4300 will last much longer and you only have to replace the one (of five) cartridge that goes empty. The total cost of all five cartridges is higher but they hold much more ink.

cavvy999

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I rang a local store and found out that I could swap the HP C4180 (unopened still in box) for a Canon MP that takes the suggested Cli8 inks and they have a MP510 for $175 (AUD) with a $30 cashback. Is this an okay one to get?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
This one will be very much like your previous printer in that it has a black pigment ink cartridge and three dye color inks. It is ideal if you plan to print mainly on plain paper. It does OK on photo paper but the blacks will not be as dark as they should be because the pigment black ink is not used on photo paper and black is made up with all three colors. If you get a model that can print on CDs you will probably be very disappointed with the darkness of black on them.

You can learn about the features of Canon printers at this link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndex1Act&fcategoryid=103

If I were buying a new Canon printer, I would get one that had a total of five cartridges, and had a larger number of nozzles. More nozzles mean quicker printing times. That would be the MP830, the MP600, or the MP800.

Are you planning to refill? If so, you should read some other recent threads to see the implications of reinking the chipped cartridges that are the current lineup of Canon printers. Basically, the printer will know that you are reinking and ask you if you want to void the warranty and if you accept, it will also disable the ink level monitoring requiring you to periodically inspect the cartridges to see if any are low. I recommend buying Canon cartridges for a year until the warranty expires and then refill your empties.

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents worth I have a RX530 due to its scanning ability. The printing ability with only 4 tanks is really great. It has chipped tanks(Without Sponges) that can be reset so the monitor is not lost when refilled. I am trying to find a forum that may discuss problems with any Epson printer let alone mine. I agree that there can be problems with clogging but on a percentage basis Canon seem to be totally error prone. And whats this about the need to change print heads as they burn or wear out.

Its true my tanks only hold 12 ml. I could fit a CIS system but with a spare set of refilled and reset tanks it is only a 5 min job to change over. I do change all 4 at the same time to reduce the priming to one cycle.

Refilling takes 15 to 20mins Off with the hot melt plug in with the ink reseal with hotmelt and through the resetter, repeat that another 3 times and put them in storage for the next change.

One cavert The SSC software does not suport my model yet so when the waste tank message comes up some time I will need a reset for that.

I did have a Epson Colour500 that I refilled for years. I gave that away and bought my first photo printer the HP720c which has lasted ever since 1994 I must have poured liters of ink through its carts.

A printer needs ink, no ink and the head clogs simple. make sure there is a good ink supply and no clog.

As an aside a factory I worked in used an Epson printhead to print information on capacitors at 30 per minute 16 hours per day (2 shifts) it lasted as long as the production requirement over 5 years.

That is why I went back to Epson. My tanks are the TO56* series new currently cost $aud12.95 in Big W so it's no big deal to get another set. My use is family orientated so maybe for business I would think differently, maybe.

cavvy999

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for your 2 cents worth too. I'm afraid I have never refilled cartridges so unfortunately it's going over my head about the chipped cartridges and refilling and monitors, sorry. But I hope to learn. I think I have made up my mind to go with a Canon MP500 as it has the 5 ink tanks (or cartridges - is there a difference?) but still open to suggestions. You did not mention what sort of price your epson would set me back. I was impressed with how long your's have lasted. Unfortunately neither my expensive brother (I think from memory CN 420 - $399) or my canon mp 150 ($60) lasted much more than a year. I figured this was about the normal life expectancy.

Thanks for everyone's comments,
Robyn.

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I bought the Epson RX530 for just under $300 a year ago, there is a 6 colour RX650. I bought this model for its ability to scan negatives, slides etc. They are now available for under $250. I get my ink from an Australian company Inkbank. They also suply the chip resetters. It's a true photo printer and due to Epsons piezoelectric technology the drop size is well controlled. Yes there is a clogging problem although I have not experianced it up to now and the waste tank issue is also a consideration. Would I get another Epson? - Definitely. I have compared my prints to those done by Canon printers with more tanks and to me, mine are as good or better. A lot depends on the photo, it always did.

Which ever printer you get make sure you keep it well filled with ink and if it is a Canon two black system and you refill, see me about a monitor.

Happy printing