Buying a New Inkjet Printer Which One Should I Go For Low Running Cost

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If your printing volume is really low, I'd consider a printer with an integrated head cartridge. While their running costs are high when printing higher volumes their frustration level is predictably low. I use to dislike these printers but despite owning a slew of other printers like Epson photo machines, Canons BCI models including the i9900. I still admire an HP7350 that I can ALWAYS depend on and bought for $10. The running costs are low since the cartridges are refillable and resettable several times, and I have never had a need to do a head cleaning. If I throw in a photo cartridge the prints are very very respectable. I can leave it sitting there for weeks and then turn it on and it prints perfectly. If you use a printer sporadically this aspect should place a significant weight in your decision. The running costs are long forgotten when something important needs to be printed and you are left staring at a bunch of stripes as output.

Don't get me wrong, I have a bunch of separate ink tank machines and like them.
Just a thought, because sometimes we get caught up in a swell.

Heidy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Adamj said:
If you do buy a Epson, you can purcahse a chip resetter for only 3.97 from pcworld.
>>>>

Thanks for that I have seen these on Ebay.co.uk for sale too,the question is does this chip resetter work reliably on the most recent modern state of the art Epson Printers?

Heidy.

Link to chip resetter

Heidy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:
If your printing volume is really low, I'd consider a printer with an integrated head cartridge. While their running costs are high when printing higher volumes their frustration level is predictably low. I use to dislike these printers but despite owning a slew of other printers like Epson photo machines, Canons BCI models including the i9900. I still admire an HP7350 that I can ALWAYS depend on and bought for $10. The running costs are low since the cartridges are refillable and resettable several times, and I have never had a need to do a head cleaning. If I throw in a photo cartridge the prints are very very respectable. I can leave it sitting there for weeks and then turn it on and it prints perfectly. If you use a printer sporadically this aspect should place a significant weight in your decision. The running costs are long forgotten when something important needs to be printed and you are left staring at a bunch of stripes as output.

Don't get me wrong, I have a bunch of separate ink tank machines and like them.
Just a thought, because sometimes we get caught up in a swell.
>>>>
Thats a very valid point regarding inbuilt print heads in HP Printer so if you have a jan you can just replace and solve the problem

These are chipped too though can you buy compatible cartridges or do a refill?with syringe?
Which particular Model you recommending in the HP range HP7350 ?

I was advised by Pc World store to go for the latest most modern new HP 2015 Laser its $450-00 Usdollars in American Money?

It costs 130 Usdollars for replacement toner I asked the Sales Assistant if it was possible to get a compatible he said yes its possible to refill them

Is it possible to get compatible for this model of Black on white laser printer?

Other suggestions were the Epson 360

Canon 6600

Heidy

Heidy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Heidy said:
Adamj said:
If you do buy a Epson, you can purcahse a chip resetter for only 3.97 from pcworld.
>>>>

Thanks for that I have seen these on Ebay.co.uk for sale too,the question is does this chip resetter work reliably on the most recent modern state of the art Epson Printers?
Can it reset the Epson 360 inkjet Printer?

Heidy.

Link to chip resetter

Heidy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am currently looking out for a Canon ip4000 its a gamble I know but I have to take that risk.

Heidy

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Heidy - try to get a new one as it will still have the warranty if it has not been registered. The alternative is a factory refurb which has a 90 day warrranty and comes in a factory sealed box. These usually have a new printhead and OEM ink carts. You will probably pay less for a new ip6000d. That is a six color photo printer, but I can tell you that text on my canon i960, the six color printer model that came just before the ip6000 is very decent. The six color printers do not have the pigmented black cart for plain paper text printing, and they use two additional color carts - photo magenta and photo cyan - which are light dye load colors. The six color printers are quite good for photos, although the ip4000 is reputed to do very good photos as well. The problem is that the ip4000's are very scarce now and there are still new ip6000d's in the online merchant pipeline at a better price.

If you want to get into refilling your carts you can buy an ip4300 for less than $100 US online. These carts are easily refillable with good quality inks you can buy online as well. If you are going to gamble with a used ip4000 you might consider "gambling" with the warranty on the ip4300 which you will lose when you refill your carts.

Heidy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
fotofreek said:
Heidy - try to get a new one as it will still have the warranty if it has not been registered. The alternative is a factory refurb which has a 90 day warrranty and comes in a factory sealed box. These usually have a new printhead and OEM ink carts. You will probably pay less for a new ip6000d.

>>>>
The problem is I buy from www.ebay.co.uk
currently there is only 1 Cannon Ip 4000 for sell on there its used secondhand supposed to work ok no warranty

I emailed the Seller she said she only had it for 3 months before she decided to Upgrade if I can believe that story.

so you are saying I should search around for a canon i960 / canon ip 6000 or canon ip4300

I will look in Ebays "completed listings" section to see how frequent the inkjets you mention are up for sale.
All these are "Unchipped"Inkjets

I forgot to Rob the Webmaster here what does he personally endorse I think its the Epson 750 (this is an American Model Number I think)

Heidy

That is a six color photo printer, but I can tell you that text on my canon i960, the six color printer model that came just before the ip6000 is very decent. The six color printers do not have the pigmented black cart for plain paper text printing, and they use two additional color carts - photo magenta and photo cyan - which are light dye load colors. The six color printers are quite good for photos, although the ip4000 is reputed to do very good photos as well. The problem is that the ip4000's are very scarce now and there are still new ip6000d's in the online merchant pipeline at a better price.

If you want to get into refilling your carts you can buy an ip4300 for less than $100 US online. These carts are easily refillable with good quality inks you can buy online as well. If you are going to gamble with a used ip4000 you might consider "gambling" with the warranty on the ip4300 which you will lose when you refill your carts.

Heidy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Heidy said:
Adamj said:
>>>>

Do you personally have a Ink Chip reseter and what model of printer do you use it on?

Heidy.

Link to chip resetter

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Sorry, Heidy, but I guess I wasn't clear on the suggestions. I'll try again. The i960 hasn't been available for a long time. It was replaced by the ip6000. There are some ip6000d printers NEW on ebay. It is a six color photo printer, but if it does as well as my i960, it also does a decent job on text as well. If you can't find a Canon that takes unchipped carts (ip4000, ip5000, ip6000, i8500, i9900) you would do well with the ip4300 but it is chipped. The price is fairly low - under $100 US, but you will either have to use Canon OEM carts or refill them. If you refill them you will end up voiding your warranty for printhead issues. Nonetheless, they are refillable and the money you save with refilling will pay for many future printers as long as it lasts through three or four sets of refills!

Of the non-chipped units I mentioned a new ip6000d is still available online for much less than the few new ip4000 units that are still around. Some time ago I gave you a link, but I think it was here in the US.

Adamj

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
@Heidy

I purchased the chip reseter and used it on Epson c48/cx 3600/c44 carts without fail, takes about 3-5 seconds per cart.

Edit. If the printer you mentioned is the R360 then yes it should work on those carts.