Buying a New Inkjet Printer Which One Should I Go For Low Running Cost

Heidy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am buying a new Printer but I want to avoid the ones that are problematic with Ink Cartridge Chipping Software Errors
I have made a shortlist of Printers to consider

I want to buy one with low running costs reliability prints black on white as well as photographs from the Internet too

Thanks,

Heidy

1) Canon Pixma IP 4200

(2) Canon Pixma IP6700D

(3) Epson Stylus Photo R380

(4) Canon Pixma IP8500

(5) Canon Pixma iP 90

(6) Canon Pixma IP 4200

(7) Canon Pixma IP 5200

(8) Canon Pixma IP 5200R

(9) Canon Pixma IP 6600D

(10) Canon Pixma IP 6700D

(11) Dell 3010CN Color Laser Printer

(12) Canon Pixma MP 600

(13) Epson C88

(14) Hewlett Packard Printer?

royal

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Heidy i have a thread about wich printer to buy too. I have mailed to HP & Epson. Only HP made some suggestions. HP printers use 6 different color cartridges or 1 with 3 colors. These are recommended: HP Photosmart D6160, HP Photosmart D7360, HP Photosmart D7360. I have heard also good things about the Pixma, Epson Stylus printers and the Canon Selphy printers. Not so expensive and great printing quality. This is all the info i can give u maybe someone else can help us.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You say you want to avoid the problems with chipped cartridges but all the Canon printers you list have chipped cartridges which unfortunately are the only ones available in stores. However, you can still buy Canon printers with unchipped cartridges on eBay.

I don't see any all-in-ones in your list of candidate printers which means that there are basically two categories of printers you are interested in: those with five cartridges including a pigment black for plain paper and those with six cartridges without a pigment black.

The first of these can be fulfilled with the Canon iP4000 and the second of these can be fulfilled with the Canon iP6000D. These are available both used and new on eBay. I highly recommend getting a new printer in original packaging. It has a much better chance of surviving shipping.

The iP4000 tends to sell on eBay for double its original price and the iP6000D tends to go for a fairer price. You can click on this link to learn more about these and other Canon printers:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndex1Act&fcategoryid=103

Just enter the model number in the search field and select one of the pages that includes specifications or what's in the box to find out what cartridges are used. You want to find a printer that uses BCI-6 for dye inks and BCI-3eBK for the pigment black ink. The CLI-8 and PGI-5BK cartridges are the ones with the chips that you want to avoid.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Heidy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
royal said:
Heidy i have a thread about wich printer to buy too. I have mailed to HP & Epson. Only HP made some suggestions. HP printers use 6 different color cartridges or 1 with 3 colors. These are recommended: HP Photosmart D6160, HP Photosmart D7360, HP Photosmart D7360. I have heard also good things about the Pixma, Epson Stylus printers and the Canon Selphy printers. Not so expensive and great printing quality. This is all the info i can give u maybe someone else can help us.
>>>>>>>>
Thank you for your reply, I been doing some more research and to it just seems to get more confusing,

The suggestions made by Compatible Ink Cartridge Retailers are as follows,

Epson Stylus D78
Epsus Stylus DX4000
Epson Stylus DX6000

Epson DX 4000,

and finally Epson Stylus Photo RX 560

I am in Europe so the Model numbers may be different if you are in the States.

I looked at consumer reviews they pinpointed Canon Printers as been the best.

Heidy

Heidy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
You say you want to avoid the problems with chipped cartridges but all the Canon printers you list have chipped cartridges which unfortunately are the only ones available in stores.

>>>>No what I meant here is to be able to use Chip Resetters etc with ease I have come to realise a chipless printer is virtually NON existant this days

also I hear even if you manage the chip correctly you can have problems with the software saying "this is a INcompatible cartridge" and to buy the right one :)

However, you can still buy Canon printers with unchipped cartridges on eBay.

>>>>>
Thanks for this advice about about getting an unchipped cartridge on Ebay But why would a Ebay seller sell something so good like this unless it was faulty?
You recommend I chance it?
will I be able to get it serviced if the print heads are gone or is it cheaper to Trash?

You mention the Canon IP 4000 and say something about Canon IP 6000 which is the better one?
Any other ~UNchipped Inkjet Printers you recommend looking out for one?

I have seen a Canon IP 4000 ebay but its 90-00 Usdollars with delivery is that about the going rate?
Come to think about it the Guy at the Cartridge Store did recommend the Canon IP 4000 too if you could find one what about Duplex printing can it manage this?

I don't see any all-in-ones in your list of candidate printers which means that there are basically two categories of printers you are interested in: those with five cartridges including a pigment black for plain paper and those with six cartridges without a pigment black.

The first of these can be fulfilled with the Canon iP4000 and the second of these can be fulfilled with the Canon iP6000D. These are available both used and new on eBay.

You can buy Canon ip4000 & Ip6000D New on Ebay I checked Ebay UK and found only 1 second hand one for sale.
>>
Ebay USA is better I just could not afford the Shipping charges or Import Duties:)
>>>>
I highly recommend getting a new printer in original packaging. It has a much better chance of surviving shipping.

The iP4000 tends to sell on eBay for double its original price and the iP6000D tends to go for a fairer price. You can click on this link to learn more about these and other Canon printers:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndex1Act&fcategoryid=103

Just enter the model number in the search field and select one of the pages that includes specifications or what's in the box to find out what cartridges are used. You want to find a printer that uses BCI-6 for dye inks and BCI-3eBK for the pigment black ink. The CLI-8 and PGI-5BK cartridges are the ones with the chips that you want to avoid.

More research and concentration lol OK I will do my detective work
>>>

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Thanks for your expert advice.

Heidy

Heidy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just checked the Canon Inkjet Printers Uk (www.canon.co.uk) it seems they ALL are chipped have the CLI-8
PGI-5BK as compatibles replacement inks

Next Port Of Call Ebay.co.uk

Heidy

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Heidy, there are NO chip resetters for the Canon CLI-8 and PGI-5BK cartridges and the consensus is there probably never will be. I have not and do not plan to get a printer that uses these cartridges so I speak now from what I have learned on this forum: apparently, you can continue to use those cartridges after refilling but you will get a lot of nag dialog boxes informing you that your warranty will be void and more importantly, the ink level sensors are disabled so you run the risk of damaging your print head if you don't notice that a cartridge has run dry.

Those chipped cartridges, by the way, are just as easy to refill as the BCI-6 and BCI-3e cartridges but the problem is if you want to buy third-party cartridges, you have to transfer the chip from an OEM cartridge to the third-party cartridge, which, apparently, is a risking process. Some people install a Continuous Ink Supply to their printers to solve both problems but I think that this process is also very difficult. But you can avoid all these problems by simply buying one of the older models that don't use chipped cartridges.

The reason why an eBay seller would sell one of these older models is that a couple years ago when the chipped cartridge printers first came out, there were plenty of the older models going at cut rate prices in the stores and these eBayers bought them up speculating that there would continue to be a damand for them and that they could make some money in the process. And they were right. But most of those have already been sold, there are just a few left.

Some other people are selling their used unchipped cartridge printers because they don't consider the price of OEM cartridges a factor and they like the better features of the newer printers and so they just want to upgrade. They realize that they can sell their old printer for a higher price than a new one. Most eBayers will tell you the condition of the printer they are selling and even if the print head is defective, you can buy replacements for about $80 and they are very easy to replace.

The iP4000 and iP6000D are both excellent printers, but, in general, I would recommend the iP4000 as the better one if it is your only printer, because it has the larger pigment black cartridge which is ideal if you do a lot of text printing on plain paper. However, if you also have a laser printer which you use mainly for that purpose and you want a good photo paper printer, then the iP6000D will work for that purpose. I like to take mine places where I want to be able to take pictures of people and immediately print the photos to give to them. Of course, I can also do that with the iP4000, but you may want to get a laser printer for text printing and the iP6000D for photos because it may be more readily available at a more reasonable price.

The iP4000 can do duplex printing but it mixes in some of the dye inks with the pigment black so you lose the advantage of the durability of the pigment ink on plain paper.

The average prices on eBay, including shipping in the USA, are:
iP4000 used @ $150, new @ $225
iP6000D used @ $100, new @ $150

These are the prices of printers that actually sell. Others are offered at much higher prices that do not sell but that just means they may still be available for you (at a higher price, of course).

What's interesting is that the original prices on these printers were reversed: the iP4000 was around $100 new and the iP6000D was around $150 new.

Other good Canon unchipped printers are iP3000, MP780, MP760, MP750, i9900 and i9100. These last two are wide format printers (13 inches) that do not include a pigment black cartridge. The MP series are all-in-ones with the same print head as the iP4000. The iP3000 is just like the iP4000 except it does not include a photo black (dye) cartridge.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Heidy - I answered your questions on the printer newsgroup, and the answers you have received here are excelent as well. For cheap, unchipped cartridges, or for refilling, your best bet is a new ip6000. The ip4000's are very pricey if available. Used printers may be ok or may not be. By the way, there was a brief time when new ip4000 printers were available on close out for $50 after rebates. Some very smart people bought them up and later sold them on ebay for great profits. The clue was that they came in the sealed box but with the UPC label removed! I should have bought one for a spare but didn't act in time.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Just make sure when you are searching on eBay to include the "D" in the model number for the iP6000D.

Here is an eBay number that may ship internationally: 150101646253

And there are several iP3000 printers available at good prices on eBay UK.