Buying a new, but old unopened, T120

clive

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP T120, Canon iX6860/Pro100s
I have the opportunity to get a T120 at a good price. It is brand new in an unopened box/carton and is approximately a year and half old, they got it in 2018 but did not specify the month. I suspect it could have been hanging around for some time. It is out of the warranty period.

Is there any potential problem with this that I should be aware of or should I just get a new one with warranty.

Thanks

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I think it all depends on the 'good price', the printheads have not been in contact with ink yet which eliminates the risk of dried up nozzles and ink supply lines. You may give the cartridges a good shake to stir up any ink/pigments which may have settled over time.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
What do you mean by a good price !.. is it a giveaway or are you encouraged to get it because of its’ print size, these HP clog up rather quickly if not used daily, and the ink costs are not that cheap either, so choose wisely, is it a steal or are you been suckered in to it..

The warranty means diddly squat, but if you have a need for that sized prints then it may actually be a steal…Good luck..

P.S. I have never found a warranty much good for anything…too much wriggle room..

clive

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the quick responses

A good price is approximately 40% of retail and as it has not been used I expect everything to be "as new" but good point about shaking up the pigment ink. I actually have found hp warranty to be good - I had my 110+ replaced twice under warranty - it used to stop in the middle of a print job as it tended to over heat.

I am thinking of using this more for photographic work, yes I do know it is not a photo printer, but my 110+ gave IE to my standards an acceptable result. I will not be publicly displaying them as it is just for me and friends.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Personally I'd be looking a bigger discount if it is out of warranty, but only you can decide if it is worth it in the end.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
you may reverse the risk and ask the seller to put the printer into operation, and if it is working o.k. you buy it - probably at a higher price in this case but as well with a higher level of confidence that the printer will perform

clive

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes I think I may ask for a bigger discount but I do not think it reasonable to have him open the case, install the inks etc, as that is not how it is being sold. I am prepared to take the risk if on inspection it is apparent it has not been opened.
I guess my judgement of it's photographic ability, relying the results of my 110+, is that this being later technology the photos will be better.
Am I being a bit ambitious here?
One of the reasons for getting this is the ability to do panos and/or large and odd sizes that is beyond my canon A3 dye printer, although it does produce some nice photos but I need bigger.

ccc

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP T120
Printheads if needed are low cost for a T120 and very easy to replace. I'd buy at 50% of new price which would be about US$450. Remember, it is a dye printer when new and is unlikely to have clogged up.

clive

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I am not in the USofA and prices here are somewhat higher, price here for a new one is about A$1,600 which is approx US$1,100. I would expect the printheads to be pristine.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Filling in your "Location" in the membership details, makes it easier for all concerned to respond appropriately. I don't know why it is left blank by so many, perhaps you can explain why?