Buying a Canon Printer?

incartek

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Buying a new Canon Inkjet Printer

I like Canon printers. Indeed I believe that if Canon really got their marketing act together they could be number one. One reason for my belief is that unlike Epson, HP and Lexmark, Canons background has been in the camera business. In that business films (now memory cards!) and cameras have been separate businesses.

To a certain extent (I believe forced on it by competition) Canon has appeared not to have succumbed to the temptation to sell the printer at breakeven, or even a loss, and to make all its money on supplies. Of course they still make most of their money from supplies but they keep to the formula higher original cost: lower cost of usage (see cost of usage in this issue of Incartekspressions.

They have also been nice to its dealers. Epson, and to a lesser extent Hewlett Packard have introduced many ranges of inkjet cartridges often with 6 or 8 products, alarmingly regularly it seems with every printer announcement. This means so many product lines (or SKUs as we call them in the trade). I say the trade suffers from SKU indigestion (a subject for Incartekspressions 6). Often the only difference is the hard coded identification chip. Canon, on the other hand very seldom changes its range of consumables. Until late 2005, there had not been a significant change on one range (the BCI-3/3e/5/6 essentially interchangeable since around 1997 and one the lower end since the BCI-21, later 24 was introduced around 1994. There had been improvements to the ink but not a change which meant stocking numerous lines.

Cost of ownership

To optimise cost of ownership then you should steer clear of being tied to machines where there is no alternative than the printer manufacturers own brand of cartridge. I believe that the most healthy market is where there is a good supply of quality alternatives. Competition, and fierce competition amongst the alternative branded products has driven the cost of manufacture down and for the larger sources at good quality quality that for most practical purposes means that the compatible is as good as the original.

For Canon printers, for example a BCI3e or -6 cartridge costs around 7 (depending on source), whereas a compatible cartridge might cost 1.50. Just run the numbers through Froogle to see!

This advice is hardly surprising from the author of Brand Freedom Day
http://www.ecademy.com/node.php?id=65748

The chip is a swine!

When Canon When Canon makes a change in its cartridge design it is a radical one. On first appearance their new cartridges the PGi-5 and CLi-8 look similar to their cousins the BCI-3e and -6. Even the Recommended prices are the same. The difference is in the chip. To date there are no alternatives to the chip and it seems that there will not be any for some time. (See the Canon Chip race),

The result (a) there is less incentive to reduce the retail price: an original costs 9-14 from the same source. AND THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE.

The result Ink costs will be about eight times as much for the new printers.

Are then new cartridges worth the difference? You are the judge but read the reviews on printers that are available with the older cartridges and of the compatibles.

So my recommendation buy printers which use the old cartridges whilst you can!

What are they?

Low cost printers and single function office devices have totally been superseded.

If you can find a Pixma IP4000 then buy it!

But I would recommend for anybody:

Home/office use it is worth the few extra pounds (or euros or dollars) to buy one of the most versatile multi-function devices available. This is the Pixma MP780. I have one: it is fast can print double sided, the results are good, even on ordinary paper, and I always use compatible cartridges! It can scan, fax, copy even producing a PDF file. Typically available for 160-180 (230-260).

A set of five cartridges costs 7.50 (compatible). Compare that with 60 for the chipped cartridges, and you will save the difference in cost in two sets of cartridges. For me that is two months.

Photo printing here I recommend the IP 8500 available for about 210/300. Personally I do not have a unit (already having both an Epson R300 and R800). It was rated best buy by Which? a few months ago. I picked up an opinion: Strengths: Produce printes an awesome quality, Separate 8 ink tanks, Fast and quite printing,Dual paper input sources
Weaknesses: Pricey, Can print up to 8x10 photo, Ink tank a little bit more expensive ($9-$12 each).
But I have told you how to get cheaper and really good quality cartridges.

Buy NOW!

As I have said the IP4000 is now unavailable. How long the two I have recommended will be around, I dont know. Not more than a few months, I fear.

And:

Avoid the new ones:
IP1600, 2200, 4200, 5200, IX4000, MP500, MP800.

If you have bought one then you might like to read the following blog:

I have new Canon 6600 printer that uses the CLI-8 series cartridges. I did refill them after they said that they were empty. The printer kept telling me to install a new cartridge with each print saying I had no ink, but let me print. After some 10 prints a message came up saying that I was using 3rd party ink and that my warranty was void. The message " replace ink cartridge" then went away and I was off and running with replacement ink. A small price to pay for cheap ink. The prints are great. It is a great printer with rebate at Circuit City it was $140.00.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=85473&forum_id=40

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Well, you've sort of rehashed what we've all talked about at length already and I think you'll find your preaching to converted (I'm a little confused as to why you're preaching in the first place to be honest! because you don't appear to know as much as you seem to indicate)

EDIT: On reflection I've decided not to leave the rant on here but just a couple of things.

1. Quote all your sources in future please... (have the good grace to realise you're actually addressing some of them!)
2. Check your arguements and especially your spelling, grammar, etc... because that article is a mess (which is much the same as your website)
3. Please take some constructive advice and don't post your first post with an article quote that is all over the web already as if you are a resident expert come to save us...

To be brutally honest, I really can't respect someone who comes on, posts a "this is the way it is" type post and doesn't even have the common decency to read the other posts, get a feel for the forum and realise that there's a plethora of experience on here already and that a sermon is not required..

I suspect this is just so much spam anyway to be honest but talk about wasted breath..

ronk1030

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Last year I bought a bunch of ink cartridges for my Canon S600.. The printer quit printing which left me with about 20 + cartridges left. I started looking on the net for a printer that would use the same cartridge. I also check the local stores, Best Buy, Office Max, etc. My last store in the area was Circuit City. They had a open box iP4000. The price was 72 dollars out the door. The print head was still sealed. What a GREAT day.. :)

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The sad facts is---its only been about a year since the introduction of chipped Canons----and the supply of new unchipped Canons will continue to diminish-------and fewer and fewer knowlegable consumers like ronk1030 will have that great day of discovery as one of the last is snapped up.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The bottom line is...companies are doing whatever they can to get us to purchase their own cartridges...and therefore the cost of printing is bound to go up and up. Taking choices away from the consumer and creating a monopoly are what these companies are all about these days.

I still say that the market is wide open for a company to produce a new line of printers which give more choices to consumers. At this rate, if nothing changes, companies and individuals who want to refill their own cartridges will be put out of business. This really bites!!!

roytje

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Manuchau said:
The bottom line is...companies are doing whatever they can to get us to purchase their own cartridges...and therefore the cost of printing is bound to go up and up. Taking choices away from the consumer and creating a monopoly are what these companies are all about these days.
That's true! The companies have changed their strategies: in the past they earned money with selling printers. After a while they knew more about consumers and understoond that consumers were looking for quality for a low price. To decide what the quality is, they read reviews and ask sales persons for advice. Price comparisons are even easier, so companies understood that they had to decrease prices to sell their printers.

The majority of the consumers still doesn't understand that the costs of ownership are much higher than the printer price, so they simply buy the cheapest printer. As long as this is the case, the prices for ink will only increase further, especially when companies can prevent refilling with new technologies..

The problem is that it's not easy to find info about the differences in printer total cost of ownership: companies try to make it as difficult as possible to compare the costs for their printers with the costs of printers from other companies. Therefore I made a site that compares the costs for printers from various companies. Making this part of the printer business more transparant is probably the only way to strengthen the competition so that ink prices will decrease.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hey Roytje,

I took a gander over at your site and whilst I've gotta aplaud the sentiment the figures you're using aren't going to ring true until you can get that nirvana of "real world" printer testing which as you've pointed out on your site does require cash.. I've done something similar to you on a spreadsheet and used the marketing *cough* figures to help with the comparison too but things like Epsons throwing up service required after 3 months of heavy use, etc... aren't going to be covered so it's all still a bit like recycling hot air rather than reality. Not a reflection on you as I'm faced with the same issues on my own site and testing CIS kits (they still require ink and printers).

I can't think of a solution yet but something tells me it revolves around users starting to do real world comparisons themselves and reporting back..

Oh and just a small bit of feedback for you.. in terms of reviews it'd be really useful if you could actually review printers yourself if possible and then provide a series of links to other reviews, preferably end-user ones rather than big review site corporate "so, Canon what do you want me to say about your product?" deals. Would greatly enhance the utility of your site...

roytje

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey Websnail,

You're right! The problem is the cash: I don't have cash to pay for the printer tests and only few people are willing to make a donation for these tests, so in the short term it's simply not possible for me. In the long term I am thinking about using the profits from the Google ads to finance this idea.

Until then, I think this is the best alternative. The calculations are based on figures from manufacturers, who do everything to make it as positive as possible.Fortunately, they do use the same ISO print for these tests, what makes the results quite comparable. Therefore I think that:
1) the calculations are quite reliable for simply comparing printers.
2) the costs of printing under normal circumstances are quite a bit higher. Therefore indeed real world testing should be done

About the reviews: my site is updated recently, before the update it was all about the calculator..It's not possible to test all printers myself, so I have to ask my visitors to send me their reviews (so if you could review your printer, that would be great!). Until then, I decided to link to user reviews at other sites.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
roytje said:
In the long term I am thinking about using the profits from the Google ads to finance this idea.
Heh... sounds familiar... same sort of thoughts were running around my head..

Perhaps a little collaboration might be in order with Rob.. :)

Until then, I think this is the best alternative. The calculations are based on figures from manufacturers, who do everything to make it as positive as possible.Fortunately, they do use the same ISO print for these tests, what makes the results quite comparable.
Really? I was under the impression that Canon tests were different from the Epson ones, or at least that was true when I was looking at this 6+ months back.

About the reviews: my site is updated recently, before the update it was all about the calculator..It's not possible to test all printers myself, so I have to ask my visitors to send me their reviews (so if you could review your printer, that would be great!). Until then, I decided to link to user reviews at other sites.
Fair enough, can't argue with that... I can't offer any calculator information at this juncture purely because all my existing printers have CIS units installed on them. I'll see how things go with my own stuff and maybe help with a review in the future.

incartek

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi

I expect to have compatible CLi-8 carrtridges by the end of August.

Trial pack $700 for 200 units - thereafter $3.80 per unit (min 200 per colour). FOB HK. Cash in advance.

Best regards
Dan Roberts