Hi: My two Canon's have passed away. To the best of my knowledge there are
NO Canon printers available that can use my small stock of BCI-6 carts. Time
to move on. I have been told that Brother is making a quality printer
all-in-one that utilizes economical carts that are readily available
on-line.

I am sure there are several Brother users that can give me some advice. I am
zeroing in on a MFC-490CW.
http://www.databazaar.com/Inkjet_Cartridge/Catalog/MFC_490CW_4373.html
From a light-usage consumer standpoint, the ink cost isn't too bad, but being a home refiller, I wouldn't be interested in this Brother. The tanks look small, that may be how they are hitting a lower price point on their ink.

I would look for a Canon CLI-8 AIO such as MX850 before they are all gone.
If you're in the US or Canada:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828102334

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I see lots of used and a few new Canon printers on eBay that use the BCI-6 cartridges. I'm still using these printers and have no plans "to move on", especially in the direction of Brother or any printer other than Canon. What's wrong with your two Canons that you have declared them "passed away"? Are the printheads just clogged or something more serious? I take it that you prefer to buy compatibles rather than refill, correct?

jeppley

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I was happy with the Canons. The i970 needed a printhead, and the present MP470 refuses to print several colors with Canon carts. The MP470 sat idle for several years while the 970 was the workhorse. My research took me to Brother which has many suppliers of off-market carts for a very reasonable price. So to sum it up.....I need a dependable all-in-one that uses inexpensive carts. I am open for suggestions. John

jeppley

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My apologies...the Canon was a 960, NOT a 970. John

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I believe the all-in-one MP470 uses cartridges with built-in print heads. Are you saying it does not work even with a new set of cartridges?

A new printhead for your i960 would allow you to continue using your BCI-6 cartridges.

But is your wish that you could have an all-in-one that uses your current supply of BCI-6 cartridges?

jeppley

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The I960 is history, sitting in a landfill. New printheads with tax and shipping was 90% of many new printers. That was a no-brainer. The MP470 does indeed use carts with integral printheads which is why the cost is higher than others. My usage is medium to low, so re-filling does not appear to be a viable option. I require a reasonable all-in-one that has economical carts. Brother appears to have what I require but I am unsure of the printing piezio technology.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
jeppley said:
The I960 is history, sitting in a landfill. New printheads with tax and shipping was 90% of many new printers. That was a no-brainer. The MP470 does indeed use carts with integral printheads which is why the cost is higher than others. My usage is medium to low, so re-filling does not appear to be a viable option. I require a reasonable all-in-one that has economical carts. Brother appears to have what I require but I am unsure of the printing piezio technology.
Piezo technology has been proven reliable by the millions of Epson printers in service....yes, Epson uses the same technology.
I would be much more concerned with the overall quality of the Brother printer, not the technology.

Try it and post a review here.
Maybe this Brother is a good option for low volume printing.

scotslassie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a great little machine brother mfc 235, but...............what a mess I make when I try to refill the cartridges.Has anyone got any tips??:/