Brother Toner cart mystery? TN650 vs TN580?

korny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Who is a guru on Brother toner carts?

Background:
I have a Brother MFC-8890 that uses TN650 carts (or half filled TN620's)

I bought what I thought was refilled TN650 carts, but they wont fit: the seller sold me what he says are TN580, "-and they fit sir, have a nice day". Well, these carts (refilled package says TN580) wont fit: the bottom of all of these Brother carts have what I call plastic fins that are supposed to fit in some kind of alignment slots in the printer body. And these differ:

In essence the fins on the bottom of the refilled carts are very far apart (8 in.) -- and my original TN650 carts , they are not that very far apart. (5 1/4in.)

1) Anyone with insight on whats going on here?
2) Can I use a Dremel tool and just shave off the fins? = as a quick and dirty hack solution. (the seller wont take the supposedly TN580 carts back..)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
korny
Can you not just take the toner from the new cartridge and fill the Brother cartridge again.
If there isnt a chip on your excising cartridge then that might be the best solution..

korny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I would hate to go through the trouble of emptying and refilling...

Im kind of soon thinking of simply using a Dremel tool and shaving off the "misplaced" fins on the bottom of the cart to make the carts fit. But it would be nice if anyone knows anything about those. As I sort of hinted at, at a quick glance - it appears to simply be used to key in the proper cart X in the printer Y....

korny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry for not responding!

OK, I need to look up the seller (Ebay) were we bought it. I haven't done that yet. OK, so Im not the guy who actually placed the order.. Im the guy who is fixing the problem. I hope that explains why I don't have an answer (yet)

But...... Im quite excited to report that..YES! I was able to get away with it: I simply Dremel:ed away the two plastic fins on the bottom of carts I got. Voila! Works and prints perfectly as if they were TN650. So it does seem like the "fins" only acts as a barrier to you cant actually physically insert the wrong (=priced?) cart... hint..hint...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
korny
Congratulations on your handy work and getting the cartridge to work for you in the end, but we wait for the answer.
ghwellsjr Aren't you going to tell us who this nasty seller is?
:)

korny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
OK, the vendor on Ebay was Apetion LLC (or apetionllc)