Brother MFC-J805DW printer will no longer print envelopes, indicates a paper size error.

Modifyit

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother MFC-J805DW
I grew up in a world where the closest thing to an inkjet printer was a typewriter. Remember those? Anyway, my printer which has always printed envelopes using MS word. Now it no longer knows there is an envelope in the feeder. I considered MS Office was corrupted or whatever a good term for this problem might be, so since I had only recently purchased a new software package I found an online technician who reinstalled my version to eliminate that. Now I suspect that perhaps the Brother software is my problem. That seems a more involved process. When I found a site which could provide the software, one of the instructions included the statement that "you must sign on as administrator" to download the software. I had hoped I could find the software, download it and uninstall the original software for the Brother printer and then install the new. The software I found was on a Brother printer site, so is it possible to simply say," I am an administrator. It' my printer, I should be able to administer to it. Didn't attempt to go any further because I was concerned that if I did attempt to log in as administrator I would be banned forever.

All I know at this point is that my printer printed envelopes when necessary for more than a year. Then out of the blue, it will no longer do so. Is there some kind of indicator in the paper tray that tells the printer what is in there, or is that a function of the printer software? If it is a printer software problem, should a reinstall of that correct the problem? If that is the solution, how do I get around the "administrator" part of the process?

Thanks for any help on this issue. If there is an answer, please attempt to keep it simple for, I know not what I am doing other that basic stuff.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Some installs and settings changes in Windows needs administrator privileges. Could it be that you need to log into Windows as an administrator to install the software? Do you have a link to the software you didn't download?

Jimb

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother MFC-J6530DW
Regret I don't have an answer, but I have the same problem with my Brother MFC-J6530DW.
Same symptoms for years worked perfectly, now rejects envelopes with message paper size sent by PC is A4.
Seems to suggest a Windows update or something has caused problem.
I hope like you that some expert can help us.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, @Jimb .

What makes you think the issue is caused by a Windows Update?

The first thing to have done is use Google and search on the EXACT error message you are getting. The more precise the better your chances of easily finding a solution. If there is no error message then succinctly describe the issue in the fewest words and include your make and model of printer.

That's the basics of the secret to finding help. Hopefully we can give you a fish today, but now you know how to fish for yourself for life.

I don't know if what you wrote is exactly what you saw, but I Googled it anyway.

From a different Brother printer but probably applies to your printer:

The error message Wrong Paper, Wrong Paper #1 or Wrong Paper #2 is displayed when the paper size setting does not match the size of paper in the tray or the driver settings. Or, the paper orientation is not proper for the paper size, or you did not set the paper guides in the tray to the indicators for the paper size you are using.
https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj6925dw_us_eu&faqid=faq00002481_021

Take a look at your user manual as there may be differences in locations or actions for changing settings in your model. Or it could be fairly the same. :idunno

In the future, NEVER update your printer firmware or drivers unless it fixes a specific problem you have or there is some new function you absolutely cannot live without, which should be about never. If the printer (or your wireless router as well) is working then do NOT update it.

If your name - Jimb - is short for JimBeam then you will fit in nicely. ;)

Last edited:

Jimb

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother MFC-J6530DW
Welcome to the forum, @Jimb .

What makes you think the issue is caused by a Windows Update?

The first thing to have done is use Google and search on the EXACT error message you are getting. The more precise the better your chances of easily finding a solution. If there is no error message then succinctly describe the issue in the fewest words and include your make and model of printer.

That's the basics of the secret to finding help. Hopefully we can give you a fish today, but now you know how to fish for yourself for life.

I don't know if what you wrote is exactly what you saw, but I Googled it anyway.

From a different Brother printer but probably applies to your printer:

https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj6925dw_us_eu&faqid=faq00002481_021

Take a look at your user manual as there may be differences in locations or actions for changing settings in your model. Or it could be fairly the same. :idunno

In the future, NEVER update your printer firmware or drivers unless it fixes a specific problem you have or there is some new function you absolutely cannot live without, which should be about never. If the printer (or your wireless router as well) is working then do NOT update it.

If your name - Jimb - is short for JimBeam then you will fit in nicely. ;)
Thanks for the input, agree Windows may not be the problem, but that is one bit of software that is always updating. I also agree with your comment about Google search in fact that was how I found this site.
The frustration is that it worked fine for a number of years.