Bleed over

jrsboone

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have had a Canon Pixma 4000 for about 4 years ,had worked fine until recently.The magenta cart has been bleeding over into the yellow cart causing it to turn green. Canon tech support has given me no real solution:mad: and I don't want to toss it if it's salvagable. I've been told it could be anything from the drivers to a bad print head.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

jrsboone

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks grandad35,
Unfortunatly, the post you suggested didn't help out. The problem was similar and each of those who posted put the blame on refilled or 3rd party ink carts. It just happened again. Each time it happened,once was with a refilled cart, once with half full oem cart and just the last was with brand new full oem yellow and magenta. Always the same colors.
Thinking it was the print head I changed it out for another and within 3 weeks the magenta contaminated the yellow. I'm totally at a loss.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
You've tried everything that I would have, but the drivers.
Why not dump your existing drivers, go to Canon and D/L new drivers, then go through the printer reinstall process.

Who knows, it might work.

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
jrsboone said:
I have had a Canon Pixma 4000 for about 4 years ,had worked fine until recently.The magenta cart has been bleeding over into the yellow cart causing it to turn green. Canon tech support has given me no real solution:mad: and I don't want to toss it if it's salvagable. I've been told it could be anything from the drivers to a bad print head.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sound like the boat I am in expect I got the i560. Did this happen when you where using refill inks? I noticed mine when I started refilling I don't know if that was bad timing or if the inks had a hand it in it. I personally don't think it was the ink(since it cross contamination and only happened to the yellow cart being contaminated witht he magenta cart) and unless the ink can eat through the barriers I don't see how it could be the ink.

Anyways I think its just they are not ment to last very long like my printer is 3-5 years old(I think it is 4 years old) and I remember when I was doing research people said the print heads don't last longer then 18months or something like that.

I don't think there is much you can do about it since its probably actual damage to the print head. Really the only 2 choices is buy a new print head for probably at least $50 and hope that fixes the problem and that was the only problem since print heads are usually non-refundable or buy a new printer.

I am just using up my left over ink and going to buy a new printer. I am thinking I am going to buy a cheap all in on printer with a 2 year no questions asked warranty from staples and just use generic ink. I am hoping that if the generic ink does reduce the life out of a printer I at least get 2 years out of it(If it breaks it right away then I guess I would have to stick with genuine stuff). My thinking is if I just get like 2 years out of a printer and buying chepo ink in that time I probably will say at least $250-500 in that time. So I won't care if I buy a new printer every 2 years if I am saving that much money. Better then having the same printer for 5 years but paying like $800 in ink costs.

It scares me to think how much I am paying for ink. I probably pay $200 a year on ink and the printer only cost me $150.