Blacks are dark blue ?

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Wow, I never knew that borderless printing prohibited High quality. I wonder what other interactions are going on between these settings.

You can adjust the borders slightly with the "Amount of Extension" control which appears whenever borderless printing is selected. Maybe one of the settings will give you what you want.

What software are you using to print your CDs and covers?
The setting is shaded when you choose borderless and Plain Paper. It becomes available again if you choose Photo Paper. That's the problem is that Canon assume you are actually going to be printing right to the edge of the paper. The DVD covers are 274mm long and 184mm wide so they fit on the page but the borderless feature was GREAT for keeping them from getting cropped but then the black color issue popped up.

I hate when manufacters make decisions for you. We as end users should be able to decide whether the text black get's used whether were doing a borderless print or duplexing on 24 pound paper.

The software I was using to print DVD covers is Adobe Photoshop CS2.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I guess the issue is that the pigment ink must not be good for the foam that absorbs the overflow ink and they are protecting the printer. Imagine if the black pigment ink painted the top of the foam and prevented ink from soaking into it and down to the waste tank and instead started to overflow to other parts of the printer. Ick.

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I think it has more to do with the fact that photo paper is stiffer and easier to print to the borders where as plain paper might get jammed up and make a mess inside the printer. Printing photos on plain paper is not really a good idea. The paper I'm using is 7 mil thick matte paper so it's a bit stiffer then 24 pound plain paper I use for everyday stuff.

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I thought I would update this thread with a solution to my problem of not using borderless printing and getting dvd covers to fit.

1. In PS CS2 choose print with preview.
2. Uncheck center image and set it at 1mm from the top.
3. Change the printer to use Legal size paper (you'll still be loading letter size though).
4. You will need to use the rear feeder or it will complain that legal doesn't fit in the tray.
5. Since the DVD cover is 274mm and it's from the top of 1mm it fits the letter size of 279mm.

So now I have black and my DVD covers fit.