Black ink smearing using a highlighter

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4300 & Panny KX-MB271
I just swapped my black cart which was low in a ip4300 with a refilled cart (one tank in the printer, the other refilled ready to go). When I used a 'highlighter' the black print smeared terrible which NEVER happened before using Cannon printers (probably over 15 years worth)
I wonder if I mixed a photo ink with a dye ink when I refilled the cart?
Or,
can this happen if the ink is older (5 years)?

My color inks now are all from Precision Colors. The older blacks that I want to use up are from Ink Owl, then InkJetCarts (which closed IIRC). I get mixed up between the 2 blacks Canon is using.
Pigment black is for text, Dye based is for photos, or is it the other way around?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I just swapped my black cart which was low in a ip4300
Yes it seems you have mixed them up, just purge the black cart and refill with the proper ink , its BK for the normal dye ink and MK for matte pigment ink..

Let’s hope you haven’t done the same with your BK ink cart also, but if you have change it quickly..

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
It apparently isn't that.
It appears to be the ink from Ink Owl from 10/20. The bottled is labeled "Pigment Black" which I have been using for some time. The 'carts are newly nflushed form one of you guys a number of years ago when I was having issues with printbheads which turned out to be old sponges in the carts I was using. :he

I have 2 "PGBK" carts with the same ink. I just finished emptying them and flushing them under warm water in the kitchen sink (I told my wife it was time for a new look). I ran a number of 'black' full page prints using the "High" setting until the 'spray was clear on the very wet pages.

The two ''blacks' from InkJetCarts are "Matte Black PGI-5" and "Photo Black CLI-8". I don't know how old they are, unfortunately I didn't date them. :mad:

I will report back.

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Sorry for the delayed response.
A million thanks to The Hat :bow
Thru a few messages and suggestions/observations he cleared thing up for me. Long story short, apparently, just apparently, (since there is no other explanation), I must of drew ink for the Photo dye bottle instead of the Pigment black the last time I refilled mt spare set of tanks (one set in the printer, the other 5 carts reset and refilled, ready to go when needed).

I ran some tests and the older (unknown date) bottle of Pigmented black tested good. The Hat suggested a test;
apply some into straight out of the suspected bottle directly on a sheet of paper, then using a 'putty knife' or similar, spread it out, let it dry completely, then hold it under a tap and let water drip on it. If doesn't run, it's Pigmented ink. ;)

The school of hard knocks....................