Black ink leaks

ngutman

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have an Epson CX6400 which started leaking black ink. It print OK but but black ink leaks and accumulates under the printer. Any idea how to fix this?
Thanks,
Nathan

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Oh boy... I'm guessing you have reset the waste ink counter but not actually done anything about redirecting the waste ink or replacing the pads, correct?

I can tell you now that this is going to be one seriously messy job but worth doing if your printer is still running...

First up, you'll need this guide:
http://www.octoink.co.uk/pages/Epson-CX6600.html

BUT Getting to the trap door is going to be a real exercise in contortion as you can't afford to tip the printer at all or the puddle of ink you have in your printer is going to be washing around the printer internals and basically fubar'ing it.

My advice would be to get a ton of newspaper down on your kitchen floor (or garage floor would be even better if you have a garage) along with any old sheets, towels, etc you have around... Prop your printer up so it's upright on a few bricks (make sure it's stable!) and then try to release that trap door over a tray... You may want to consider drilling a few holes in locations you've identified as being completely free of any circuit boards, etc... to allow ink to drain out.

Bottom line, you need to drain, soak up, and remove all that excess waste ink and then organise yourself an external tank to collect anything the printer generates in future.

... and just to rub it in a liddle.. This article from a ways back is just a tad relevant... Ouch!

Good luck!