Black Ink Fade Test…

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
What I have found mostly with inkjet ink that the black will fade just as quickly as the colours will, so I printer out this swatch and placed it in a window in direct Sunlight.

I don’t imagine I’ll have to wait to lone for the results, maybe 4 to 6 weeks, and that should show quite a bit of change in some of the black inks.

I used several different black inks, starting with from left:- FotoRite photo dye, I.S Pigment Matte, Laser Toner, Again FotoRite Photo dye (Over Print) dye on dye, KMP Pigment, and lastly I.S. photo pigment.

The idea was to print them on two types of paper surfaces, Plain copy and photo glossy papers, I altered the Media type to get each Black to print on the two surfaces, and I omitted the Laser ink sample on the glossy surface for obviously reasons.

I also put a coating of Glob over half of the swatch on both papers and then covered the middle section with a piece of card to block out the light waves.

Hopefully we’ll see how each of these different inks get on in this random test in September.
The is just a quick sample on how I laid out each black strip for illustration purposes..
Black ink test.jpg

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You got apparently infected by some ink fade testing...let's see what you get and how that matches or conflicts with our other test findings - I'm curious and I would expect the first signs of fading in quite a short time already - I expect the Photorite dye to be the first one - the pigment inks will hopefully last much longer, and the Glop effect will be interesting as well.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I’d call it far more than infectious, more like I must, :fl do that,:D :weee because I am keen to know which of my inks preform the best under extreme conditions, not that I would deliberately expose anything that I print to these conditions. :oops:

There are many paper surfaces where different black inks can preform better then what is recommended by the printer driver, by altering the media setting or inks in these cartridges, results can improve or not, and the black can also just as easily walk off the paper. :eek:

I still have another colour test pending, but those results won’t be made known till the middle of next year, my curiosity with inks and paper combinations can sometimes pay off, but mostly I learn quickly what to avoid and what not to use. :woot
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/fade-test-on-i-s-inks.10844/

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Here are the black ink tests that were done over the last two months.

This is not a scientific or a carefully controlled test, its just to show what happens to your black ink when exposed to constant daylight, notice I didn’t say sunshine...:D

The Top Half was exposed to everyday light and the Bottom Half was covered over with a bit of card, not exactly scientific because it was not held firmly against the surface properly allowing some reflected exposure to take place.

On the Glossy Paper, as you can see I had 5 different Black Swatches.

The first swatch was FotoRite Photo Black dye ink especially made for Glossy Surfaces.

2) Was the I.S. 9500 Pigment Matte Black made for Plain Paper. (3rd not used)

4) Was the same ink as the first, but Overlaid Twice, in the Same Position.

5) Was the KMP simulated Pigment black especially made for Plain Paper.

6) Was the I.S. 9500 Pigment Photo Black especially made for Glossy Surfaces.

You can see the effects clearly yourself, there is not much difference in any of the different black inks except the FotoRite which went brown as expected but surprisingly enough number (3) held up quite well with the double application of ink.
Glossy.jpg

The Second Test was the same as the First but this time on Plain Paper and with 6 swatches.

The first was FotoRite Photo Black ink made for Glossy Paper.

2) Was the I.S. 9500 Pigment Matte Black made for Plain Paper.

3) Was the Mono Laser Toner at 300 DPI, it wasn’t used on the Glossy Paper test.

4) Was the same ink as the first, but over printed Twice like the previous one was.

5) Was the KMP simulated Pigment black made for use on Plain Paper.

6) Was the I.S. 9500 Pigment Photo Black made Glossy Paper.

The effects this time were that all of the swatches faded just a tad, except the laser Toner, and the FotoRite is simply a lost cause as is most of all dye black inks are.
Plain.jpg

I did cover half of the swatches with a coating of Glop, but it didn’t have any effect at all, and the header text was printed with dye ink, just in case someone asks, and two in red are from the Pro printer....

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
What I don't really understand is this "KMP simulated Pigment black"..??
Is the fotorite ink the only dye ink in the test?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The KMP ink is formulated for use in the desktop Canon printers, all dough classed as pigment ink its somewhat different than that the normal pigment inks, as far as I can tell, and the FotoRite is the only true dye ink in the test set and the only one I got...

Aniruddh Gaikwad

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
refill help
What I have found mostly with inkjet ink that the black will fade just as quickly as the colours will, so I printer out this swatch and placed it in a window in direct Sunlight.

I don’t imagine I’ll have to wait to lone for the results, maybe 4 to 6 weeks, and that should show quite a bit of change in some of the black inks.

I used several different black inks, starting with from left:- FotoRite photo dye, I.S Pigment Matte, Laser Toner, Again FotoRite Photo dye (Over Print) dye on dye, KMP Pigment, and lastly I.S. photo pigment.

The idea was to print them on two types of paper surfaces, Plain copy and photo glossy papers, I altered the Media type to get each Black to print on the two surfaces, and I omitted the Laser ink sample on the glossy surface for obviously reasons.

I also put a coating of Glob over half of the swatch on both papers and then covered the middle section with a piece of card to block out the light waves.

Hopefully we’ll see how each of these different inks get on in this random test in September.
The is just a quick sample on how I laid out each black strip for illustration purposes..
View attachment 4469
Excellent job

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
your testing shows as well that a dye ink fades to brown on the Sihl paper, and the same ink may fade to a more neutral gray on another paper, in this case on plain paper. And the impact of a gloss optimizer onto the fading performance is at least questionable.
I'm looking to my patches partially covered with GO, it vanished on the Labelheaven CC paper, it probably migrated into the coating/paper and does not impact the fading at all. The GO on the Tecco paper creates an ugly crimpled surface, probably as an effect of the outside environment, changing humidity, sun etc, and there is no impact on the fading of the Fujifilm inks either. It could very well be that the formula of the GO is different between 3rd party ink suppliers - I don't know - that would require another test cycle - several different GO types on various different papers .....
A short test with cheap inks last year and GO showed some improvement, but that combination would not catch up with the better inks at all. The GO does its job on pigment inks, but does not appear to do any good in combination with dye inks.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I like to do accelerated tests--in direct sunlight or held against a fluorescent tube. With this kind of abuse, all the the third-party black dyes I have tested are among the most unstable inks I have tested. I just use OEM photo black.

On the other hand, all the text pigment inks I have tested are quite fade-resistant.