Fade test on I.S. Inks...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I decide to have another go at testing my I.S. inks for fading in a not to extreme situation this time.

I will put this test Sihl photo 280 gm. in a window facing north for 12 months, this window only gets about an hour or so of early morning sunlight when it shines for 5 months, so for the rest of the year it will be exposed to normal UV light.

The print will receive just about the same exposure that it would in a brighter part of the house, and I intend to cover up the middle section of the print so I will be able to see the direct comparison between the two after the allotted time goes by, starting tomorrow.

Back in twelve months, early May hopefully..

Test.png

P.S. This sheet was only used for uploading purposes..

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You are doing a long term test with pigment inks, I wouldn't like to wait a year for the results, so I'm complementing your test with a test of dye inks and a GO overprint , no name dye inks which shouldn't take that long to show a result - on 4 different glossy papers. And I'll read the lightness changes then with a scanner. One half of each patch set is covered with GO, to compare directly the UV impact side by side.

Fading 1.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
That seems to be a test of patience too..
I posted this already, but one point comes into play here which every photographer should know from calculating exposure values: light levels can differ VERY much...

http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/AaI_2009_0118_TA-01.pdf

(see p4/table2) ..for example "average home illumination" around 100 lux and "south facing window" around 10,000 lux..
So the exposure on a balcony like ISF's could be 100 (!) times stronger than in Hat's room. And the new kind of bulbs may be even less calculable regarding UV output..

So I think, nobody can be surprised that different people have much different experience with fading

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Martin, when you have time, I hope you will tell us how you got on with the profiles?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
So I think, nobody can be surprised that different people have much different experience with fading
Not bad at all, :cool: I haven’t even posted my tests yet and I already got a minus from @martin0reg, maybe I shouldn’t bore you with the results then... :fl :eek:

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Dear Hat, it seems you got me totally wrong, my post was meant as a "plus" for your upcoming test, and I'm curious to see results.

I just wanted to keep in mind how big the differences of light really are.

This is NOT an argument against any UV test with various inks and papers exposed side by side!
Though some would say, the conditions are too variable, to make any statements about this or that ink or paper - the comparison of two or more inks on the same paper under the same lighting is a clear and comprehensible rating of these two inks.

And apart from the fact that experience with fading differ as much as the lighting, everybody would prefer the ink which turns out best in their own and same condition.

While single results from your long term test can't be compared with single results of other user tests, I'm quite sure that the comparison result, or the "winner" of one test round, will be the same in other tests.

PS: I should have put some ironic smilies at my opening phrase... :bow

@ Emulator
I haven't practised any more argyll profiling, actually I try to make profiles for B&W ink sets, after reading some instructions at northlight-images, using CM color picker and QTR ..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Dear Hat, it seems you got me totally wrong, my post was meant as a "plus" for your upcoming test, and I'm curious to see results.
Ditto Martin, :hugs :lol: I knew you were taking the micky, so don’t feel bad about it because my sarcasm tends to be taken up wrong by lots of guys, and I’ve gotten used to getting someone back up when all I was doing was pulling their leg...:D life is to short to spend it being grumpy.. :old
I’ll have my results out tomorrow, so you can criticise all you want then...:ya :eek: