Black Ink Cartirdge Problem

crazypanda

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello! I recently replaced the black ink cartridge on my I850 with a refillable black ink cartridge. When I print, the black ink color gradually slowly fades away. I know its not a clog print head because when I replace the refillable black ink with a regular black ink cartridge it prints perfectly. I'm just wondering why the refillable black ink cartridge is faulty... I use a refillable color cartridge and it works fine though.

This is what the print looks like.
printeray4.jpg

Here is a picture of an empty refillable black cartridge... I have 8 more of these faulty sets @_@...

upload3sv0.jpg

upload2oc1.jpg

uploadme0.jpg

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I had the same problem with the pigmented ink cartridge on my ip4000 after I refilled it over two times. It seems the cartridge wasn't supplying ink fast enough to the head for it to print properly. It looks like the refill cartridge isn't supplying enough ink to the head. Try another cartridge to see if you get the same results. If you do the cartridges weren't designed to work with pigmented ink. I just put a new Hobbicolors cartridge in my printer and eliminated the problem. http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobbicolors-5-C...ryZ16199QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

crazypanda

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Aww, what your saying might be true. Because if I leave the cartridge in the printer for a while the printer prints normal then the black ink slowly fades away. I did try another cartridge and it still had the same result. Also, I used dye ink, not pigmented.

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Original OEM cartridges modified for refilling are a much better way to go.

Your refillable may not have a satisfactory sponge density for the proper speed of ink flow.

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
crazypanda:

That is your problem the jets for that printer and cartridge are designed to work with pigmented ink. By mistake I used dye ink in that cartridge and ended up with black ink all over the place. I suggest you replace the ink with pigmented ink as soon as possible.

canonfodder:

As I stated before, the best I can get from a modified original OEM cartridge is two refills at best with the pigmented ink. Other dye ink cartridges I have refilled more than 5 times.
For some reason the pigmented ink restricts the flow of ink after two refills, I've back flushed and flushed with hot water and still have the ink flow problem. A new Hobbicolor cartridge fixed the prob.em.

crazypanda

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ibelieve the i850 uses dye ink. Even with dye ink the printer works fine with other cartridges. I know its not the ink or print head problem. It's the cartridge O_O... Thank you to those who replied so far.

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
crazypanda:

The BCI-3EBK cartridge has pigmented ink in it, it is the only cartridge that has it. All the other cartridges BCI-3E series have dye ink. You can use BCI-6 dye ink cartridges as replacements for the small ink tanks. As I said before your problem is that you are using dye ink in a cartridge that is supposed to use pigmented ink.

Go to this link and select your printer model (i850): http://www.inksupply.com/canoninks.cfm

The note on the page states: "All of the MIS Canon inks, except the high capacity black, are waterfast dybase ink with equivalent fade resistance as the Canon version. The high capacity black ink is a pigment based ink. It is used primarily for text printing."

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Actually you can use black dye ink in the BCI-3eBK cartridge. I have used it as a cheap alternative for expensive pigmented ink without any problems. The problem is in the BCI-3eBK Crazypanda used. It has a sponge not suitable for this type of cartridge. Out of many after market compatible cartridges try to use those that contain white sponge, instead of yellow.

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Tin Ho:

As is stated before I used dye ink in the large cartridge and ended up with big black ink blobs on my paper. The reason is the jets are bigger on the pigment jets and allow the ink to feed too fast and also drip. You might have some success but if you pull your print head out you will find black ink all over the bottom of it.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
tyamada said:
Tin Ho:

As is stated before I used dye ink in the large cartridge and ended up with big black ink blobs on my paper.
Actually I've been there done that too. There is a trick to stop the leaking of ink when dye ink is used in your BCI-3ebk. What you need to do when you are refilling your cartridge is to fill the reserve tank at the same time keep the ink from getting into the sponge. You need to tilt the cartridge to a 45 degree angle with the sponged tank in the upper and the reserve tank at the lower position. This allows the reserve tank get most of the ink but the sponge gets little. Some ink will be absorbed by the sponge. There is no way to stop it. But that's fine. If the sponge gets too much ink you will have the leaking problem. If the sponge gets only some ink but not too much the cartridge will work beautifully. Try it. You will be surprised.