Best way to store refilled PGI-9 cartridges?

Wazzu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II using the PGI-9 cartridges. I refilled a backup set of cartridges. What is the best way to store them on the shelf until I can use them? Sponge side up or sponge side down? They have orange protectors and probably won't be sitting on the shelf long before they replace the cartridges in the printer.

Thank you!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Wazzu said:
I have a Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II using the PGI-9 cartridges. I refilled a backup set of cartridges. What is the best way to store them on the shelf until I can use them? Sponge side up or sponge side down? They have orange protectors and probably won't be sitting on the shelf long before they replace the cartridges in the printer.

Thank you!
I always store my cartridges sponge side up and shake them before removing the orange clip to install..:thumbsup

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I'm on the opposite side not because I live on the other side of the world. I prefer the pad side down for a couple reasons.
1. If the orange shoe doesn't seal perfectly, the sponge will possibly dry out if it comes into contact with air and there is an air gap at the top of the bladder inside the cartridge.
2. The second reason is that with the sponge side down and with ink in the cartridge, the spring does not have any chance of pulling air into the bladder as it tries to open the bladder.
Having gone through many cartridges, sometimes you will encounter a cartridge where the bladder has sprung wide and there is a lot of air inside the cartridge. This is because it had become empty and the pad dried out and the spring pulled the bladder back out. The result will be that the cartridge may refuse to be filled to the full weight. When this happens, you should use a "Hat" type attachment ("freedom type") fill adapter using the shoe and then flatten back the bladder while extracting the air with the sponge side UP. If the cart has any ink and the sponge remains wetted, the surface tension of the ink within the sponge/pad prevents any air from entering the cartridge.

The contrary position may propose that by storing upside down, any settlement of the pigment will not occur on the sponge and that is a valid claim. But Canon did put in those little balls inside the cartridge to stir the ink around during printing and minimize settlement. No matter which method is chosen, it is indeed a good idea to "Shake, Shake, Shake" as KC and the Sunshine Band would sing before inserting into the printer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1YXcD0njts

Of course the compromise position is to lay them on their side!!! Which side? Hmmmmmm.....

Wazzu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I think I'll turn five cartridges one way and five the other way. LOL :D

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Wazzu mate, our The Hat has a drinking problem (he doesn't drink enough) so you can take it from me to store your cartridges sponge side down. Do I have a pro 9500....No ....Have I ever refilled a PGI9 cartridge......No ..Do I know what I'm talking about......No ..Do I do everything Mike tells me..Yes:)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mikling Now here's a way for us to shake those carts up.
OK Mike you win, even she keeps her bottom down too.. :ep

rodbam Wazzu mate, our The Hat has a drinking problem
Relax rodbam I dont touch a drop of that stuff (completely clear headed) anyway the pigment stuff tastes terrible...:lol: