Best way to sell non-working printers? I have 3 Canons

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
As a matter of interest what price did you pay for the Qy6-0049 print head ghwellsjr.
I just bought one last week and paid 82.. :|

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
So much for rumors--there are dozens of print heads for these older printers available on eBay. For example:
I don't know if it is just rumors. It is said that Canon no longer supplies them. Retailers may still have them in stock.

inca

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I see the replacement print heads for $57 delivered on Ebay in USA.

inca

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I didnt take the printers to the repair facility. I called on the phone.

GHWELLSJR said,
"The Canon repair center in my area will take any printer and provide an estimate to fix it which if you decide is too much, you can let them recycle the printer and there is no charge but if you want the printer back, it's $35."

Apparently this is why they have no interest in buying used printers, such as when I asked their interest in my 3 non-working Canons. They can get all they want for free from other customers "donating" them. No doubt, they then turn around and charge $20-100 for a part they just got for free.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
leo8088 said:
ghwellsjr said:
So much for rumors--there are dozens of print heads for these older printers available on eBay. For example:
I don't know if it is just rumors. It is said that Canon no longer supplies them. Retailers may still have them in stock.
You've heard. It is said. Can you give us the source of your information? I'd call Canon but they aren't open right now.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The Hat said:
As a matter of interest what price did you pay for the Qy6-0049 print head ghwellsjr.
I just bought one last week and paid 82.. :|
The price was just under $50 and with tax it was around $55 each.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
inca said:
I didnt take the printers to the repair facility. I called on the phone.

GHWELLSJR said,
"The Canon repair center in my area will take any printer and provide an estimate to fix it which if you decide is too much, you can let them recycle the printer and there is no charge but if you want the printer back, it's $35."

Apparently this is why they have no interest in buying used printers, such as when I asked their interest in my 3 non-working Canons. They can get all they want for free from other customers "donating" them. No doubt, they then turn around and charge $20-100 for a part they just got for free.
I didn't say they would buy any printers. I said they won't charge you $35 for an estimate if you don't want them to repair it and you let them keep it.

inca

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yes, GHWELLSJR, I know you didnt say they would buy any printers, and I didnt say you said this. Sorry for the confusion. I was just adding that info, attributing it to myself, not you.

I should open up my own so-called repair facility, quote people $300 to fix them or $35 for this quote, or they can pay for the quote by leaving me the printer. Then I take all the "donated" printers and piece together the working parts and/or sell those parts on Ebay.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Now that's a great idea!!! But you'd probably want to make your quotes be $25 to compete effectively with the real repair shops. You also should provide a caveat like most insurers do that if you cannot repair the item for the quoted price, then you will provide the customer with a new comparable unit. That way, in case any one calls your bluff and actually wants to pay $300 for the repair, you just go out and buy the cheapest printer with similar specs and pocket the difference. You could even absond with the new ink cartridges if the printer uses the same type and put in the old ones. It would all be in the fine print, signed by the customer when he dropped off the printer. Don't forget to take over a week to report back to the customer what the quote will be--it all adds to the apparent legitimacy of the enterprise.

Trouble is, you'd probably get just one of every type of printer ever made. But you could still sell the parts.

Good luck on your new venture!!!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ghwellsjr The price was just under $50 and with tax it was around $55 each.
I didnt get mine from Canon (none left) and ended up being robbed. :(
My printer is now up and running so it was well worth it and it's happy ever after. :) :)
Thank you for that info ghwellsjr..