Best refill system for Canon ip8750

Flying Scotsman

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8750
Hello I am a new member and thinking of buying a Canon ip8750 a3 printer.
What i would like to know is what is the best refill system for this printer to produce the best quality images

Thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi @Flying Scotsman and welcome, the iP8750 is a bit of an ink guzzler, so if you want to use and refill your carts then you’d be better to get a set of XL carts for the printer first, Oush very expensive, because the set-up carts that come with the printer don’t hold very much ink.

Alternatively, you can get a set of refillable carts with ARC chips, but these have a tendency to suffer from ink starvation after only a couple of refills, but with these carts you don’t need to purchase a chip redsetter.

If you could go the extra few bob and get a Pro 100 or Pro10 you’d be better off long-term because these Pro printers really do cost far less to own and run, because they are far easier to refill and maintain and will give you the most amazing photos.

Here is a video on refilling the iP8750 cart for you to view, also the Pro 100 cart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQHPBADjxTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaxI2QPWLWA

Flying Scotsman

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8750
Hi @Flying Scotsman and welcome, the iP8750 is a bit of an ink guzzler, so if you want to use and refill your carts then you’d be better to get a set of XL carts for the printer first, Oush very expensive, because the set-up carts that come with the printer don’t hold very much ink.

Alternatively, you can get a set of refillable carts with ARC chips, but these have a tendency to suffer from ink starvation after only a couple of refills, but with these carts you don’t need to purchase a chip redsetter.

If you could go the extra few bob and get a Pro 100 or Pro10 you’d be better off long-term because these Pro printers really do cost far less to own and run, because they are far easier to refill and maintain and will give you the most amazing photos.

Here is a video on refilling the iP8750 cart for you to view, also the Pro 100 cart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQHPBADjxTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaxI2QPWLWA

Thanks for your reply
If i decided to refill the cartridges i have the following questions
From your reply i take it that refilling the originals means there is no ink starvation
If i was to use ARC chips where would you recommend I get the best ones
Where do i buy the best quality ink at the best price.

Thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model

Flying Scotsman

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8750
Thanks again for all your help but as a newcomer i would just like to be clear that octoink is by best option.
I see they sell a kit with Acr cartridges do these not suffer from ink starvation as stated above.

Thanks again

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks again for all your help but as a newcomer i would just like to be clear that octoink is by best option.
I see they sell a kit with Acr cartridges do these not suffer from ink starvation as stated above.
Thanks again
There are other options on the mainland like octopus-office.de is another very good ink supplier, as I’ve said there maybe others that might sell to your location but I'm able to recommend them to you, because I’ve had no feedback, both octoinkjet and octopus will.

The question of refillable cartridges for Canon printers have always been a contentious one, because no compatible cartridges can perform the way that an OEM cartridge can for reliability and durability.

All the refillables for your model printer have a tendency to underperform but were acceptable because there was no alternative, and now there is a redsetter for the OEM chips which has moved the goal posts back in favour of using OEM cartridges.

The refillable cartridge can and will perform very well if you take a few extra steps when refilling to ensure that ink starvation is cut to 1% !, this is possible and is used by many because the extra costs of purchasing new XL cartridges and a resetter can be prohibitive for most.

Flying Scotsman

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8750
Hi thanks again for all your help i sent a copy of the hat post on why a ciss system will not work with a canon printer to city ink express
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/ciss-on-a-canon-why-not.10791/

They sent this reply do you think this would fix the problems -

Thanks for sending that. As part of the installation process for our CISS, the rubber gaskets on the print head are replaced with our own. Our gaskets are slightly thicker and softer, so provide a much better seal. Because of this, there are no problems with air leaking into the cartridge or ink leaking out.

In re the second commenter, he seems to be slightly off about how a CISS works. A vacuum in the system would be bad for the printer, as it runs the risk of starving the print heads of ink. There is no reason why you would have a vacuum in a CISS unless it has been fitted incorrectly. As ink is used by the printer, more ink flows in from the CISS to replace that which is used (the reservoirs are level with the base of the printer, and the ink lines are full of ink, so capillary action plays a negligible part in this). Air enters the CISS at the reservoirs, to maintain normal pressure across the system – this is basically just a bigger version of what happens with Canon cartridges, where air enters the cartridge above the sponge to avoid a vacuum.

Kind Regards,

Zac at CityInkExpress

Thanks again

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
And what did you expect from CityInkExpress, they have a vested interest in contradicting anyone who threatens the products that they sell, and who can blame them, but it still doesn’t make it right to sell them to misguided or ill informed buyers. (The truth is out there)

I purchased the first CISS system sold for a i9950 from CityInkExpress many years ago, and yes I must admit a CISS does work, but what they fail to tell you is that it needs constant regular attention to keep it in good working order, but in the end it will fail...

A more satisfactory solution for any print owner who wishes to use 3rd party inks to reduce costs, is to refill your existing OEM cartridges, you will then have full control over your printer and only have to fill the cartridges when they become empty, it couldn’t be easier.

The last think I need is education on a CISS from those Muppets, but I will always welcome any tips and tricks on how to refill my cartridges a little better... ;)

P.S. A CISS for any Canon printer is a bad idea and is never recommended... :eek:

Flying Scotsman

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8750
Thanks again for all your help.

I have now now received my printer ip8750 and used it last night using the paper and ink that came with it i have to say the quality was very good.
I know the ink supplied with the printer won't last long so i will have to make my mind up on which refill ink to buy.
Before i decide can anyone tell me how good Octopus ink is.
Was also looking at compatibles but can't seem to find any good advice on which ones to use

Thanks again

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Flying Scotsman, I hope you continue to enjoy using your new printer for a very long time, and with a little bit of care and attention it should last for ages.

Because the start-up carts that comes with the printer are very small you’ll need ink pretty fast and you should be able to get prefilled carts just about anywhere safely. (Use once)

While these aftermarket carts will work quite well, you may find the colours are slightly off from the originals and if you can live with that then you should be happy, but if you wish to go the route of refilling then both OctoInkjet and Octopus inks are the very best in quality.

Refilling is more expensive to start with than purchasing standalone aftermarket cartridges, but long term the refilling route is far more enjoyable and satisfying, that’s probably why it’s so popular...