Best Printer With good Quality.

oroblec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro-10 - Epson L1800
Hi all my name is jennifer from dominican republic i had one canon ip5000, 3 canon ip4500 i started to use the refill method of the german when i found this page long time ago now that all my canons died i want to know what is the best in the market that u can refill with german method economy price of the printer with the quality of canon ip4500.

i had read about that new canon printer ip4920 and ip4820 what u think guy will be the best choose nowadays or if theres an epson model under 200 dlrs that i can refill ink with goo quality of ink.

i print like 20 dvd and 7 covers every week.

oroblec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
No one have idea what is the best and chip that u can refill the ink ?????

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Compared with Pixma IP5000 and IP4500 no equivalent current Canon printer has the same easy of refill and low cost of use.

However, my IP4850 is a decent printer and the cartridges, although opaque, can be successfully refilled with German method. You will need either a resetter or a digital scale to know when a cartridge is empty. Also there is available good quality ink from various manufacturers, like IS, OCP, and, what I use, InkTec.

I do not know about Epsons, but be aware of newer models with intelligent chips, my understanding is these cartridges are hard to refill and reset.

oroblec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks gigigou for be the first person on response i apreciated your help so if i get Opaque Cartriges as have ip4850 and ip4920 u says it can be refilled using german method my favorite one i think u only can refilled it just when they are empty so after the monitor says are empty u can add the exact amount of ink with the ginger 10 ml so u know it's full. but otherwise is not a problem left the cartriges goes empty it will damage the cartriges and another stuff what are the best ressetter cause i can try after my monitoring is working.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I haven't tried both methods yet, but for opaque cartridges, I would think top filling is easier, because you can refill any time, and it's easy to tell when it's full. Like anything else, you have to do it correctly, but people have good success with this. Mikling on this forum recommends it and has the method worked out well. He also sells some silicone plugs at nominal cost, that a lot of people swear by.

With the German method you can tell if the chamber is full by drawing back on the syringe. If you get air, then the needle tip is above the liquid surface. Or you may be able to see the level in the prism (??). Or you can do it by weight. Be sure to weight the new cartridges and keep records.

A resetter is VERY helpful if you can get it. If you can't, you can always weigh the cartridges to see how much ink they have. Depending on your printer, I suppose, this may or may not cause problems with purging and introduction of air. Be sure to weigh the new cartridges before installation, and keep records. I am interested in hearing how well people manage with this.

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Maybe you have not received more responses because the aspects of using ip4920 and ip4820 (IP4950, IP4850) and corresponding cartridges were discussed and settled in this forum,
for example, please check http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5530 and http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6278 and http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6122

As for your questions:
- opaque cartridges (for me 525/526) can be refilled with German method. I use myself this method.
- is better to refill only when the cartridge is empty, injecting an exact amount of 6 ml for thin cartridges and 10 ml for thick one.
- the tricky part is to determine when a cartridge is empty. Using the printer with empty cartridges will permanently damage the printhead. Either you use a resetter and refill when the printer monitor tells the cartridge is empty, or you can use a precision scale to periodically weight the cartridge.

Better than refilling the opaque cartridges is to get a set of older generation cartridges, like 220/221 or 520/521 and swap the chips. By this way you can check visually the ink level (I am not sure about this, but I think if one relies only on resetter and fixed amount of ink at refill, cumulated under-fills may lead to cartridge being empty although printer monitor displays it full).

I cannot recommend a brand of resetter as I am not using. In this forum is a good opinion for ReDsetter. Just be sure the resetter is specifically designed for your particular cartridges. For example a resetter for 225/226 cartridges will not work for 525/526 cartridges.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Any problems that you know of with periodically weighing cartridges, gigigogu?

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
No, it was a straight question. Of course it's great if you can see into the cartridge without removing it.

Sorry, oroblec, we're straying a little off the subject. :)

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I cannot see how weighing method can go wrong. Systematic over or under fills are not cumulative with this method.