Best place to buy QY6-0084 print head for Canon Pro 100

dannno

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered new print head from a top rated seller on fee-bay.

LazyHeat

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro10 Pro100, HPDJ500
New on ebay is about $200. From Canon about $206 + tax, and shipping. If I knew for sure this would solve the problem, I'd probably go for it, but I'm on the fence about it....
I bought replacement and spare printheads from inkjetprinthead.com in the US. They only sell factory sealed OEM parts. Jim is very reliable and honest, and is usually less expensive than eBay if he can.

Printguy

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
HI,
I'm running my spare Pro 100 (that I bought sans print head) with the print head from my first machine. I'm now getting B200 codes somewhat frequently. I have have <200 prints on this machine. I'm thinking of buying a new print head for it. I am afraid to invest too much in it. I don't want to go the refurbished route..
Please advise...
That may sound counterintuitive, but Craigslist would be the best place. A lightly used Pixma Pro-100 sells for US$150, plus or minus, often with carts and even some extra paper. Anything significantly more is a rip off.

Just get a whole thing, but insist on testing it first, even if you just run the self test page. Ensure that the carts are not aftermarket, or you may get the head clogged when switching back to genuine ones. Keep whatever you want to keep, ditch the rest. Or keep the whole lot for spares, if space allows.

An extra hint: CL sellers are often notoriously bad when describing their goods, so I would broaden my search net as much as I can, for example, by searching for just "canon", "cannon", "pro 100", "pixma", "large printer", etc. You'd be surprised.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Ensure that the carts are not aftermarket, or you may get the head clogged when switching back to genuine ones.
Why on earth would OEM inks clog in the print head after using 3rd party inks ?
Please explain..

Printguy

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
The answer is simple enough: it has happened to me. Keep in mind that there are many aftermarket inks, and not all of them are equal; some are worse than others in that regard.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The answer is simple enough: it has happened to me. Keep in mind that there are many aftermarket inks, and not all of them are equal; some are worse than others in that regard.
I am fully aware of the poor quality of some aftermarket inks, but when you install OEM inks they have the ability to clean out all the nozzles and keep them in perfect working order, they never cause a clog when first installed..

But if the head was clogged beforehand then it will take time for the OEM inks to work their magic..

LazyHeat

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro10 Pro100, HPDJ500
I am fully aware of the poor quality of some aftermarket inks, but when you install OEM inks they have the ability to clean out all the nozzles and keep them in perfect working order, they never cause a clog when first installed..

But if the head was clogged beforehand then it will take time for the OEM inks to work their magic..
It can happen, take this from a former HP Designjet tech (me), and also from Jose Rodriguez on his youtube channel "jtoolman." Some aftermarket inks are incompatible with OEM inks and can cause gelling. In a Canon printer, this can happen primarily with the yellow. I've seen this with cyan, magenta, and yellow inks from HP. The gelling can occur within the printhead channels, or in the case of larger Designjets, within the supply tubes. It can be a bear to clean this mess out, but diluted polyethylene glycol (car antifreeze) can usually take care of it with some effort.

This only applies to dye based inks, as far as I know.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
It can happen, take this from a former HP Designjet tech (me), and also from Jose Rodriguez
As far as HP are concerned, they pursue a different agenda and will stop at nothing to prevent the use of 3rd party inks, including court action..

Canon printers are way, way different to HP, and Jose Rodriguez gets everything he thinks he knows second hand and talks through his arse quite a lot of the time to the point of putting the viewer to sleep.

On the subject of the Yello Gello, that’s now a thing of the past and was cause by incorrect refilling of an OEM cart, and it can be cleared out of the print head by using only OEM inks and patience.. Other severe methods can cause the loss of the print head..

Please don’t mix up HP with Canon because they are worlds apart when it comes to ease of use..

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just a quick note regards the original topic...

Canon recently started legal proceedings against sellers of "counterfeit items" which appears to include printheads so this may explain why so many of the supposed OEM heads on fleabay, etc... are failing... So, as noted with a few other folk earlier in this thread, better to buy from Canon service centres directly (CRC-Tasktron here in the UK) unless you have a cast iron guarantee and verified experience for any third party sellers.

Latest posts