Best photo printer with ink tanks

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSON Pro 3880 & Canon MX925
I have 2 printers:
- Epson Pro 3880, which is causing all kinds of problems, like the Pro 3800 which I had before.
Photo printing was excellent, but using this type of printer was a constant "pain"!
Due to all kinds of small and sometimes serious problems.
Relability was totally insufficient.

- Canon MX 925 reliable but is also getting old.
Not really for photo printing

I am thinking about replacing both printers with just a new one with ink tanks.
A good quality printer that can print photos of high quality, and can also be used for day-to-day printing; letters, mails etc.

Can anybody be of advise what would be a good printer type for me.

Thank you!

Harry

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
It appears that the 3880 was possibly not used enough for what it needs. Otherwise other than the wear of the dampers, this is actually a VERY solid machine. If this machine was not reliable enough, then your expectation of something significantly better might be an overreach.

The other issue is that the variation of the requirements and the standard of the printers you have had is extremely wide.
The 3880 was once the pinnacle of ink jet printing and none of the tank machines will come to match that. Even today it produces prints that no one would reject as being not good enough.

So something's gotta give.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
If you want a printer that will produce high quality photos and also be useful as an everyday office machine then I doubt such a machine exixts. For the office machine I'd buy a Canon Maxify. It's a solid built machine that will do everything you need in the office, with easy to refill carttridges. Then put the bulk of your budget into a quality photo printer, of which I am not able to advise as I have not been looking at the latest machines. One thing you need to decide too is will the photo printer use dye or pigment ink.

Others will chime in with advice on this I'm sure.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
If you want a printer that will produce high quality photos and also be useful as an everyday office machine then I doubt such a machine exixts.
I think you should white up a small list of properties along the criteria - nice to have - must have - like a scanner, or double sided printing - or multiple paper bins - which format - A4 or A3 or ??? - choice of inks - printing volume - borderless printing - and a few more which you might think you need. But before you would need to make too many compromises you might be better off with separate printers as @Redbrickman is suggesting.

Latest posts