Best Current Canons For Refill

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
I currently have a Pixma 600 which has performed beautifully for over 6 years. I've always refilled using ink from InkSupply.com. I know it will fail eventually and I'd like to replace it before I'me forced to get something I might not like. What current Canon cartridges are relatively easy to refill and have resettable chips? All input is appreciated.
Thanks

dacho

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
Pixma pro 100, I think is the way to go right now. And best part is that it's only sub $100 after rebate.

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
Thanks for the reply. Looks like an excellent value but I need a printer with a scanner so I can make copies.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The pro 100 uses the CLI-42 cartridges that are CLI-8 cartridges with different chips. A resetter and a custom ink set are available, so refilling is as easy as for a PGI-5/CLI-8 printer.

The less expensive Canon printers and AIO's use the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 cartridges that are opaque and no resetter is available, making refill and control of ink levels difficult. The Pro 100 is also a much higher build quality than the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 printers.

So how about buying the Pro 100 if it can still be had for 100 $ and also buying a separate scanner?

If you buy a scanner look for a model that uses a CCD sensor, which is much better than a CIS sensor.

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
I notice that the pro 100 uses all dye based ink. This presents a problem in that my wife uses greyscale printed with the PGI5 to make photo that she mod podges onto ceramic tile. The medium causes dye inks to smear so it looks like I better keep the 600 running as long as I can.
Thanks for the input.