best cis+printer solution

dsixteen

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Tin Ho wrote:
Most CISS systems I have seen for Canon printers are incorrectly designed. If there is only one tubing per cartridge it will not work. There should be 10 tubings, 2 per cartridge, for your CISS to work for your ip4300.
-----
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280054509380

thats the cis i bought for my 4300. if you think its not the printer, its the cis, can you recommend any other cis.

mikling wrote:
dsixteen, your R320 will do just fine.
----
whats the best for this printer than. is there any cis has huge ink tank (such as 250 or 500 ml)
i saw your mail but i live in europe. i dont want to buy a cis from usa. thanks anyway

by the way what do you guys think about refillable cartridges for r320. i saw alot around and they look pretty usefull. do you have any experience with them. for example how many times can refill them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Refillable-ink-...ryZ16200QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Fair enough... it's given me something else to try with suitably thin tubing..

I'm assuming the arrangement was one that had elbows into the cartridges on both side of the cartridge (ie: one over sponge and other over spongeless area)?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
CanonExternalTank.jpg

This might be the twin tube system. There are refinements that can be made to this sketch. This was posted on the forum a while back by someone else and I can't remember who put it on. I MAKE NO CLAIMS this is NOT the first disclosure. It is uses standard techniques and it is obvious to anyone trained in the arts and it is prior art.

Websnail, since you revel in the fun of CISS, give it a shot and see what happens and report back, I don't recall the person who made this proposal actually proceeding to build a prototype. If you'd like, you can just build one channel/color and see what happens. Obviously if you want to have a large capacity, you can use a wide external tank or have some lift system.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The principal inconvenience in the above system occurs when the time comes to refill the tank. In traditional systems there was no need to disassemble the system. In the above system, as the art was disclosed by a member of the forum there remained a requirement to remove the cartridges.

I have solved this issue.

dsixteen has not mentioned exactly what sizes he/she is printing. But if he/she is printing 100 letter size or similar photographs on high quality photgraphic paper on a daily basis as he/she stated he/she will have to swap cartridges much much sooner than days or weeks . It may well turn out to be hour or hours depending on color saturation of the images and color spaces used.
I've printed 50 or so pages multiple times on a continuous sustained basis where you load up the tray as much as you can and let her go and for my images it was within the hour that certain colors ran out and this was with a Canon i950. That possibly suggests why he/she is looking for a CISS with a large capacity. Maybe the iP4300 or 4200 are much more economical with inks than the i950 but I can't imagine orders of magnitude less especially when my i950 uses 6 photo color ink tanks and the iP4200,4300 only 4! Can Tin Ho elucidate on this? It appears that he possesses much experience in printing large volumes with his printer and I'm sure would be willing to share this with us... especially as it relates to printing on high quality photographic paper on a continuous basis.

This is important because with the chipped cartridges, when refilled, the prism system will not work and protect the printhead from kogation. This poses a serious risk when printing say 50 pages on high quality photgraphic paper and the ink levels are not continually monitored. With my i950 and the working prism system I was always protected and large high quality photo printing jobs did not normally pose any dangers.
I also understand that the tank capacity on the CLI-8 ( as fitted on the iP 4200,4300) is actually less than the cartridges that my i950 uses (BCI-6) so I might be pleasantly surprised at the improvements Canon has made in this regard.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I guess we'll see.. Ed did manage to put something together that had an air balancing system involving all sorts of clever mechanical devices but at the end of the day it was creating quite a headache for him and the photos he sent me of the system he'd built indicated it was going to be something of a nightmare when it came to pragmatics..

Anyways... we'll see how I go when I attack the problem again..