best cis+printer solution

dsixteen

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
hi. im printing about 100 sheets in a day. i had an experience with canon pixma 4300+cis system but it was a mess. always had problems. it was clogging nearly everyday. i have broken a printer and had another 4300 but its broken now too. so i give up. now i decided to buy a new printer+new cis which is stable and no problems. what i need is
-a new printer+cis system compatible each other very good.
-printing quality is not important. but printer has to has long life and no maintenance needed like epson r320. r320 says take it to service at every 1000 prints. its a rip off.
-it would be good if ink bottles are large. cuz i was filling bottles twice in a day and it was driving me crazy:)

i wish there are some people can help me about this. thanks anyway.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I would think an Epson printer might be better for you. With your print load, clogging with an Epson will not be an issue as your constant use will keep the nozzles clean and clear.

There is no need to service the R200...R320 line every 1,000 pages if you install a waste ink bottle http://forums.cdcovers.cc/showthread.php?t=189379
and use this utility to reset the waste ink pad counter. http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

The Epson printers you mention are fully supported.

If photo printing is not important, look for an Epson Color 980.... an office workhorse that is 8 years old but they were built for serious use, not the disposable stuff most inkjets are today. The Epson photo printers are slow at printing text if that is what you output.

Send me an email for more details.

My thread here http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2136
is a model that is three models down from the 980.

dsixteen

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
i already have an epson r320 than i dont need to buy a printer:D thats great hehe thanks for the link. so which cis do you recommend for r320. i am going to get the best this time not the cheapest. i dont want to break my printer again. do you know any good quality for it and where do i buy it.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Let's compare two CISS carts for an Epson R320 etc.

RegulatorDesign.jpg

InferiorDesign.jpg

Other than that CISS are basically just vessels of ink and tubes with connectors. So as long as the construction and quality and features are the same one has to look inside the cart and its' ink feed design to determine the relative rating.

I wonder if there is a reason one of the ones above have some features similar to the OEM design as shown below
OEMinside.jpg

dsixteen

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
so do you people have any other recommends if you think epson printheads are not ok. i just need a good printer with ciss solution nothing else

dsixteen

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Simon R. said:
I'd get a laser printer if I were you ;)
but i only print high quality photo papers :)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
dsixteen said:
so do you people have any other recommends if you think epson printheads are not ok. i just need a good printer with ciss solution nothing else
Ok.. here's my opinion on this whole thing.

1. Epsons use the Piezo inkjet technology so the printheads will last longer.. They may clog but they don't burnout.. Clogs can be cleared.. burnt printheads can't

2. The ink outlet on Epson cartridges is a very good seal compared to Canons... The ink post pushes deep into the cartridge and has a large contact area... A canon has barely any contact area and the grommets on the printhead are a lot more passive so air leaks happen a lot more on the Canons.

3. Some printers like the HP K550, K5400, L7580 already have a CIS built in to the printer with cartridges sitting static so a CIS kit for this type of printer is really just an extension of the existing cartridge reservoirs.

4. Pigment inks are a lot more likely to clog than dyebase... So printers like the D88, or the black ink in the K550, ip4200 is going to hit problems if you don't use the printer regularly. As a result it pays to either manually print off something every few days or set up a scheduled printjob that does the same thing is a must.

5. If you're serious about getting a CIS, do your research on the printer first.. which tbh you're already doing.. Don't go for a printer and then find out later that a CIS won't work without having to do anything daft like physically modify the printer (eg: the Canon ip9900).

6. Avoid brand new printer designs... Invariably CIS reset chips won't work with them and you'll not be able to rely on experiences others have shared on here or elsewhere.. So for example when the R220 came out, it was smarter to go for the R200 assuming reports for that model were good.

So, basically this doesn't help in a major way but it does give you some idea of things to look out for while you research.

For myself (my personal opinion):
- I've stopped pursuing the canon printers because of various problems I've experienced in getting them working with CISs
- The K550 has a printhead issue that may extend to the K5400 printers or L7000 series of MFD. They aren't that great for photo printing have some paper feed issues, but ruddy wonderful when it comes to speed printing basic colour documents. So it's a bit of a balance issue between printer reliability and ease of CIS installation.
- Epson printers have moved on a lot since I last played with them so I'm out of the loop there. What I found with the C84 - D88 models was that they needed to have automated printouts to reduce clogging and I modified every one to expel waste ink to an external tank to reduce the problems associated with waste ink pads.

Right now I have the L7680 with a homebrew CIS for general use working very well (and my other half has chosen to keep it attached to her PC!).. and a working MP830 for photos, fax and scanning and my own use.

Hope that lot helps anyways.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
dsixteen, your R320 will do just fine. Since you have owned both brands you can make your own decision.

I think websnail has spent much time with CISS systems ( He probably would say too much as he has pounded his head on the wall too many times! getting them to work) and he knows what he is talking about when it comes to CISS related things.

Some people just love Canons and hate Epsons, that's fine they choose to live the way they do. I own both and love them both and both brands are working well for me. Printers, like people, all have their idiosyncrasies, their strengths and weaknesses. Nobody's perfect....and likewise the perfect printer is yet to be made.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Tin Ho said:
Most CISS systems I have seen for Canon printers are incorrectly designed. If there is only one tubing per cartridge it will not work. There should be 10 tubings, 2 per cartridge, for your CISS to work for your ip4300.
I'm curious, where did you find this information...