Bed Levelling - Quick method using a cheap DTI gauge

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Some people like to tinker and are pretty OCD about getting the bed level, I'm one of those I believe but as I am still waiting for my first 3d printer time will tell ;)

So I'm looking at videos on the Creality CR10 set up and find this quite clever way to level the bed quickly and accurately. It uses a cheap as chips dial gauge (about £3) and a printed mount that attaches to the cooling fan on the head, plus some G-code to control the levelling procedure. I'm sure it can be adapted for other printers too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXu7oH0-PXU

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I just heat the head up to 100 c and the bed to 40 c, run the head to the start position, unlock the dampers and start in the four corners using a 160-gm sheet as a gauge, if the sheet buckles when pushed under the head and doesn’t jam or tear then I am happy with that... ;)

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
It uses a cheap as chips dial gauge (about £3) and a printed mount that attaches to the cooling fan on the head, plus some G-code to control the levelling procedure. I'm sure it can be adapted for other printers too.
When I first got my printer, I used to spend a lot of time levelling. Now it's really quick - with A4 paper. Also on my printer when you adjust one corner it sometimes changes the level of the others. So it may not be as simple as going to all 4 corners in turn as the video shows.

The gauge is interesting, but I really find adjustment with a sheet of paper very easy and quick

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
It's probably OPD - OPD "Obsessive Printing Disorder" :ya It can have several strands to the condition i.e. Inkjet, Laser, 3D, Thermal etc. There are some in this forum for whom this has become a serious problem, in fact some who have had started off with the inkjet variant have been known to go hardcore, almost abandoning the softer inkjet addictioon and go 3D crazy!
Other have gone on to develop MPD - a combination of several variants of the condition.

The sooner the printer arrives the better, as I am getting knackered from binge watching You Tube vids of the CR10 ;)

Last edited:

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
When I first got my printer, I used to spend a lot of time levelling. Now it's really quick - with A4 paper....

The gauge is interesting, but I really find adjustment with a sheet of paper very easy and quick

Ditto!

I've seen a few of the gauges and thought it would be awesome, but then realized I had to remove it each time and then I decided it was way more work than just using paper.

Also, since I'm printing PLA on blue painters tape, I've found that I have a little bit more wiggle room. I also tend to really squish the first layer.