BCI 6 OEM ink into CLI 8 tanks??

Rixx

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
PeterBJ said:
You figured out correctly how to post the link but did you make an error? Entering the link after having deleted the space gives the result "Unknown Image" : So could you please check the link again and check if the Image has been accidentally deleted?

I searched for "rixx" and got this: Are any of these pictures yours?
Yes, if you click On the Rick Schmitz Galleries, it will take you to them.

(looks like prior link was missing the last 3 in the address.)

w ww.pbase.com/rixx/image/152399383 I can't post links or photos since I'm a new member...sorry. (Please connect the w's in the link!!)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It looks like I missed the last "3" in the address, doing copy and paste. Sorry!

Rixx wrote:

Lucas28 wrote:

The ink in the BCI-6 tanks is not the same as in the CLI-8 tanks. The newer ink is lighter than the older ink. The BCI-6 ink can be used, but photos will come out darker. You can adjust that by the color sliders in the printer driver. For the best results you should have a profile made.
where would I find the printer driver adjustments? Especially the sliders?

I'm still talking with Canon....trying to resolve an issue I found while inspecting the problem.. The board won't let me post photos since I'm new.

w ww.pbase.com/rixx/image/152399383

this is a Canon BCI 6 tank that I suspect is causing-caused my yellow nozzle to clog up.....I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get a good nozzle test pattern, removed the ink tanks and noticed a whiteish contaminate clogging up the ink tank.

I sent some photos in to Canon Techs to look at...I'm going to have to bring the tanks up to Phx (125 miles 1 way) to the closet auth Canon repair center. Since the one here in Tucson
closed down.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

thanks!
Here is picture #1:

152399383.IKHrUwDG.jpg

And #2:

152399384.e1wUVqp4.jpg

And #3:

152399387.KDheUNX3.jpg

I don't know what is wrong with the cartridge, probably some microbial growth, or if the cartridge has been stored without the orange cap, it might be dye that has crystallized after evaporation of water, or?

Maybe others have seen this before? I hope the pictures help in solving this mystery.

Edit: I quoted your post for clarity

Rixx

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
thanks for the help posting!

Canon says that the ink is alcohol based and and that nothing can 'grow' in it.

No, it was recently opened out of the factory box-cellophane pkg they come in, and installed. Orange cap seemed to be in place and secure like the others I have opened. I noticed the 'gook' on the opening (intake by the little washer looking thing of the printhead) first then looked at the tank.

My printer was serviced and a new printhead put in not 50 pages ago. (more like 20-30) Now the yellow won't print....did cleanings, deep cleanings, to no avail.

Canon didn't get back with me today, hopefully tomorrow?

I have now purchased 10 Canon printers, 7 of them large format. And literally 1000's of ink tanks...hopefully they'll make this right.

fingers crossed.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
For an ink to be alcohol based, I think that alcohol should be the main constituent, but according to the MSDS water is 60-80%, so I would call the ink water based. I don't know if microbes can grow in Canon ink. Link to the MSDS here: http://msds.canon-europe.com/enviro...2A004E6B5C/$FILE/BCI-6 C INK TANK (4706A).PDF

I think this nasty stuff clogged your print head, and Canon ought to replace the printhead and the defective cartridge free of charge, but being Danish, I don't know the US legislation concerning such a case, maybe others will comment?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I took a look at some old cartridges, I had salvaged and found this empty BCI-6 BK, that had been stored for an unknown time without the orange clip attached. It looks very similar to your cartridge, so I think that your cartridge had not been sealed properly when manufactured. If microbes or evaporation is the cause, I don't know, but I have seen an HP tri-colour cartridge, that had leaked yellow ink, which had dried on the nozzle plate. That ink had a crystalline appearance, as opposed to these small round "blobs"

6881_gunk2.jpg

Rixx

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Canon called me today, and told me they would get back with me tomorrow....I'll let you you know what they say.

Your right....yours is a little 'rough' looking as well.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I didn't mention it before but algae growth is common in pretty much any ink due to the organic dyes used in many of them.

Inhibitors are indeed included in the ink composition to kill such growth but they are only active for so long, so eventually you will get algae growing.

I doubt the Canon individual you spoke to actually knows the chemistry for cartridges that are as old as your BCI-6's but I doubt Canon have a perfect solution that never expires.

Rixx

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Canon called bright and early...7:45

Sr tech Brian called me...very anxious to talk after seeing the photos.

First question was "WHERE did you purchase this ink tank? Told him I purchase mostly from Red River Paper company from Tx. He asked if I was sure it came from there...well no. I have purchased from other places.

Guess what?.....it's counterfeit Canon Ink.

He told me to look at the photo....there are 2 'plastic nubs' that hold the orange cap on the the tank itself. Look at the other tank....it has 4 'nubs' on it. ALL Canon produced tanks have 4 nubs.

I'm pretty sure it had to come from E Bay.....I only bought 10 or so, in the original pkg, sealed in the cellophane, just like 'real' ones come.

Canon wants the ink tank as well as the printhead....in return they are sending me a new printhead AND a 8 pk pf ink.

How's that for service? Wasn't even their fault and they are going the extra mile to make a customer happy.

I wouldn't have believed it....I have opened too many of these things. They are perfect looking copies, sans the 'nubs'. The Tech said this is exactly why ink is changed every couple years.

I'm very happy!

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
Thats a very nice action of Canon US. Weve red otherwise on this board.
Its not only consumer friendly, there is also an own interest for Canon. Printer manufacturers have to allow third party ink cartridges on the market, but not counterfeit OEM brand cartridges. So they like to keep track of these products and will try to sew the seller.
This is also our interest, as we like to fill OEM cartridges and not counterfeit OEM carts!