Bad printer head equals no power?

ROX

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey All!

Can a bad printer head prevent the power from turning on my IP4500?

I tested it since I have 2 printers. I took the suspected bad head and stuck it into another printer. Once the head is in and inks are loaded. the power fails to turn on. Can someone confirm that a bad printer head can cut the power out?

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Sure can and hope you did not kill the other printer.

ROX

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey Ron350,

They turn on fine without the head. Could I have done permanent damage to my printer testing out that bad head? What should I NOT do?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Looks like I need to hunt down a new head.

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
So, a bad printhead damages the power supply of the printer? Or it does damage some other part? Can you clarify, please?

Thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ROX said:
Hey All!

Can a bad printer head prevent the power from turning on my IP4500?

I tested it since I have 2 printers. I took the suspected bad head and stuck it into another printer.
Once the head is in and inks are loaded. the power fails to turn on. Can someone confirm that a bad printer head can cut the power out?
That scenario has been posted on here before in the past so Ron350 is spot on with his assessment.
Ron350 said:
Sure can and hope you did not kill the other printer.
If you have a burned out or damaged print head and place it in another perfectly good working printer,
then it is said that you may now well have two useless printers i.e. Logic board fried.

If however the print head has died from natural causes (Old Age) then it doesnt corrupt the second printer..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
A few years ago I got a Pixma 5200 for free. It would not turn on because of a bad printhead. I think an overcurrent protection circuit in the power suppy prevented the printer from powering up, and so protecting from a fire hazard. I knew it was a gamble to replace the printhead, but I did and I won the gamble, and now have a very good printer. The printhead had just failed, it had not been cleaned outside the printer. I think this fact increased my chances of success.

My experience seems to confirm what The Hat posted above. I think a possible cause could be that a printhead failure from old age is most likely to be an open circuit, water left on the printhead electronics by cleaning the the printhead outside the printer could cause a short circuit which could be more damaging for the printer.

ROX

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm guessing the head just died from natural causes. I didnt do anything to the head like clean it or install it while it was wet. Just simply the printer did not turn on.

is ebay the best place to hunt for heads?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
ROX said:
Is ebay the best place to hunt for heads?
If you are in North America, try the Canon Parts Order Desk (866-481-2569).

If they have your print head in stock, it will probably cost less than most other sources. They will only sell you a single unit per day - according to the person that I talked to, this is to make it difficult for resellers on e-bay and the like to obtain parts.