Bad nozzle checks

Illusiveimage

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPson Artisan 837
I started another thread about replacing this printer. It is looking like that isn't happening for a while due to covid-19 related shipping delays, and my area being under a shelter in place order. I'm doing what I can to get my old Artisan 837 working again.

Can someone take a look at the attached photo and see if it makes any sense?

I have been having a problem with blurred text. I took out the timing ribbon to clean it. I am pretty sure it is back in correctly. I also tried folding up a piece of paper towel soaked in glass cleaner and moving the print head over it to clear clogged nozzles. (Something I saw on youtube). The top nozzle check was done shortly after I installed a printer potty and reinstalled the CISS in it. From the top down I didn't change anything, I just waited a couple of hours between each print out. after the 4th I tried a head alignment printout, which was so bad I couldn't make any change. I went back to try another nozzle check. pattern. The bottom nozzle check is in some ways better, but the text at the top is completely gone again.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20200319_192229.jpg
    20200319_192229.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 404

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I would try to separate CISS issues - ink flow - and printhead issues. Do you have refill cartridges available you can use for a separate test ? Or can you separate/disconnect the tubing from the cartridges of your CISS, fill them up and run them like regular refill cartridges ?
And there are various Youtube clips available showing you how to flush the ink channels as the last resort

www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5hfOptXkkc

Illusiveimage

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPson Artisan 837
I don't have any other cartridges at the moment. I could remove the hoses from the set with the CISS. I have checked and there is lots of ink in the black cartridge. Are you saying to I should empty the cartridge and it refill with fresh ink?

I don't have any nozzle cleaner for a flush. I have the syringe and hose if there is a substitute cleaner.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550

Illusiveimage

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPson Artisan 837
I ordered some cleaning solution. It won't get here till Wednesday.

I am under a shelter in place order for covid-19. Going out to find glycol would be a problem. Grocery stores are open but not much else. Leaving the house for anything that isn't essential is highly discouraged. I guess I should just wait.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You may check with a pharmacy , you don't need much volume of the ingredients, and wouldn't it be essential to get your printer working again ???

Illusiveimage

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPson Artisan 837
It's hardly essential. I just have a lot of free time right now. My wife downloaded some patterns for doll clothes. They have to be printed to cut out. I'm going through photos I never got around to organizing. There may be a couple of new DVDs to label. This started when I tried to print out my new gun club membership card and I couldn't read the combination for the door. Since we aren't supposed to leave the house, that's really not all that imperative either.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I couldn't read the combination for the door
Have you tried printing using a different Paper Type settings OR use a different paper altogether as a workaround?

I don't know Epson printers much besides a few things like differences in the way the print heads function: Canon print heads heat up the ink and then the spit it out onto the paper. Epson prints use peizoelectrics to vibrate the ink onto the paper without heat.

Canon print head nozzles may delaminate if not properly cooled (usually when using an aftermarket ink). This usually with the Pigment Black nozzles and causes blurring or ghosting of text. The Dye ink color nozzles still work fine. So, a workaround is to avoid using the Pigment Black ink cartridge, which used for text on plain paper. Instead rely on the Dye ink colors to make Black. You still use Plain Paper but set Paper Type to one of the Photo Paper settings, thereby forcing the printer to only use Dye Inks and no Pigment Black.

Maybe a change in paper or Paper Setting might help you with your membership card. :idunno

PS Since when is good marksmanship not essential? ;)

Illusiveimage

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPson Artisan 837
The inks I'm using now are all Dye inks and there is only one black.

I've been trying different quality settings on a document that has both text and an image. I've run quite a few pages through it today. It doesn't seem to be cleaning up.

The membership card was just an example. I've transferred the file to my phone now. There is always a workaround considering well all carry around computers in our pockets these days.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I've been trying different quality settings
OK. Quality settings are different than what I suggested. Have you tried different Paper Type settings and/or different papers? I don't know if it will work for you but it is worth a try.