Artisan 730 with firmware update CISS

moi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Greetings from Western PA:

Have a CISS equipped R280 that was an absolute BEAR to set up & but once I got it going, has been a workhorse churning out hundreds of DVD's & photos. It sadly has died, but I found a brand new, still in the box 280. I am putting off enduring the grief I had with the setup of the previous one.

Bought an Artisan 730 and love it. Would like to put a CISS in it. I've been reading about the Epson firmware updates that dis-able the use of non OEM carts. Has anyone been SUCCESSFUL in getting a CISS to work with an Artisan 730 that has had the firmware update applied? If so, would you please share the URL for that vendor?

Thanks a bunch.

Go Stillerz!!!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The only vendor I know of with the correct chips is based in the UK and only for UK models so not much help... However it would seem that the newer chips have resolved the issue so it's likely that most kits out there are capable.

It'll be a case of asking around so perhaps someone else will be more help out there in North America.

Leonardjohn

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
To many to list
Hi there

I have installed several ciss in the Epson Artisans 730s with the latest chips without issue....

LJH

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The 730 and 837 went through a mid model firmware update by Epson. The initial production runs ran with no issues with existing chips. It is not a simple matter to identify exactly what firmware is sitting in the printer. So what works with an early 730 may not work on the latest ones. That makes it difficult to specify what will or won't work. So the only recommendation is to apply the latest chips. As such I have segregated that the 730s and 837s should only use the latest chips but the functionality if it can run with the older chips is superior...so having an early production run sample is better but you wouldn't know it until you test and determined whether it will or won't work with the older chips.

I am awaiting delivery of combo chip CISS systems with the latest chip revisions in the first week of the New Year.

cbsamc

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've been using the CISS system with 835 for over a year without any problem, but the printer started having issues so I ordered an 837. Today I received the 837 and could not get the CISS to work. :(

It complains M, Y, LC, LM not recognized by the printer. Any advice how to proceed? I am using the LJH system.

Thanks!

Leonardjohn

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
To many to list
Hi cbsamc

The 837 requires the newest chip set...

Contact us directly at LJHent.com and we will send out a replacement chip set at no charge..

http://ljhent.com/contact/contact.php

The re-chip process takes just a few minuets and you will be back and printing shortly...

Leonard
AKA LJH
4275_rechip.png

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

moi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I finally got the Artisan 730 (with updated firmware) to recognize all the carts - it's printing OK. The vendor sent a complete new set (6) of chips (for a firmware updated 730.) I replaced only the cyan chip & all 6 were recognized immediately.

New problems:
How do I reset the ink levels? There are no buttons on the chips or carts (HotZone360 CISS.)
The printer is frequently pulling more than 1 sheet of paper (20#) thru at a time - paper jams! Using heavier stock - (ie: HP glossy print photo papers) - it works OK.
Using the 2 sided printing option there are black ink marks on the leading edges of all sheets after they have been printed on the reverse side.

Thx.
moi

moi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
More Artisan 730 problems:
After printing 8 8.5X11 prints all carts decided to go unrecognized. Removing & reseating multiple times - same results. Ended up replacing all the chips with new ones (lucky 4 me the vendor had sent a new set of 6 at no charge) & success!!!

The vendor says to reset the ink level in the carts they must be unsnapped, lifted up a tad, then reseated. Didn't get a chance to do that since all the chips were replaced. Any how all carts are showing full.

Anyone have any suggestions for the black ink marks on double sided printing or multiple sheets pulled in to the printer? Been doing some Googling & come to learn the Artisan 837 is supposed to be the same beast as the 730 except with a document feeder. The 837's are also having difficulties grabbing more than one sheet at a time.

BTW - Can anyone recommend an ink jet printer with a straight paper path that can use a CISS AND can also print on CD's & DVD's?

Thank U 4 UR support.

cbsamc

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Leonardjohn said:
Hi cbsamc

The 837 requires the newest chip set...

Contact us directly at LJHent.com and we will send out a replacement chip set at no charge..

The re-chip process takes just a few minuets and you will be back and printing shortly...

Leonard
AKA LJH
Thanks, Leonard!

LJH sent the replacement chipset for free for a product I bought almost two years ago! The CIS system has gone through 835 and now with the new chipsets, Artisan 837, still works great!

This is what I called great customer service! No affiliation, just a happy customer!

Thanks!