ArgyllCMS profiles: Black Point Compensation gives composite black when checked

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
The B/W plot of Gamutvision in rel. col. mode should show if the colorprof -nI option has an impact on the blacklevel value although it wouldn't clear any conflict with Lightroom - I don't use it either. So just go ahead and post a profile with this option and we can check if we see any impact

Graeme Gill

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R1800
The B/W plot of Gamutvision in rel. col. mode should show if the colorprof -nI option has an impact on the blacklevel value although it wouldn't clear any conflict with Lightroom - I don't use it either. So just go ahead and post a profile with this option and we can check if we see any impact
I don't think Gamutvision will show anything useful, since it has previously showed that existing ArgyllCMS profiles have a perfectly good perceptual intent black level. The problem reported seems to be mainly in Lightroom. So best if someone who has this problem re-create a profile with ArgyllCMS V3.2.0 and report back.

Last edited:

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Can someone have a look with these two profiles: old version without -nI option, and new version with -nI

Attachments

• test_profile_comparison.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 16

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I did a check of the profiles , I'm wondering about the result that both profiles are completely identical, they don't differ by a line width of the plots in the diagram.

Profiles-new-old.png

I'm displaying here the media black points of both profiles - they are identical to the last decimal digit of the posted values - there are no reading differences at all from 2 different patch sheets which is quite unusual - your spectro is most likely not that accurate.

Profile-new.png
Profile-old.png

Did you do separate scans for the -nl option or just 2 calculation runs with -nl on or off with the otherwise same data ?

Last edited:

Graeme Gill

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R1800
I did a check of the profiles , I'm wondering about the result that both profiles are completely identical, they don't differ by a line width of the plots in the diagram.
Note that any difference in the profiles using -nI will show up only in the A2B0 and A2B2 tables. The theory is that Lightroom is using round trips through the A2B0 and B2A0 tables in its BPC heuristic.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Here is a display of the B/W response curve of Gamutvision, only the black point at L*=0 is of interest if there are any shifts of the output value as reported earlier, this is an overlay of 2 Gamutvision screen shots - with BPC of and on and rel col rendering, the diagrams look exactly the same for the -old profile version , there is not a bit difference in the diagrams, both curves start at the same black point

BPC off-on-new.png

I think the plots look very much as you would expect them to perform for the BPC off-on options. That's about all of the info I can retreive from these profiles , I cannot see the problem with the black point shift as the title of this thread implies. I don't know if there are other program settings under which this effect becomes apparent specifically with Lightroom.

Last edited:

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I did just calculate twice with the same scanning results on without the -nI option (old) and the new including the -nI option.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I think you should go back to the situation as discussed in posting # 20 that the blacklevel raises for the ArgyllCMS profile when BPC gets switched on - the starting point of the discussion and the title of the thread. I remember from a previous discussion about 1 - 2 years ago that the effect was more prominent with a profile for a paper - like a matte paper with a media black point around 20.

Last edited: