Are these carts pigment or dye?

Guilherme Maranhao

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1400 with carbon inks
Received 7 of these, want to reuse the ink. They expired on 2002 and 2003!
cartuchos.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
This took some looking to find out

"Epson Stylus® Pro 5000, using a dye based ink set"

From the summation at top of article:

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.535.6424&rep=rep1&type=pdf

"The $3,995 Stylus Pro 7000 uses the standard dye-based inks found in the Stylus Pro 9000 and Stylus Pro 5000"

https://creativepro.com/epson-stylus-pro-on-a-24-inch-roll/

As to the question of using ink that expired 17-18 years ago... maybe our fearless moderator @The Hat would but I would not unless literally no other choice. But would there be electricity for the printer after the apocalypse? :hide

Guilherme Maranhao

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the answer @stratman !!! In fact, that first article has lots of information. Searching for light fastness on that portal returned other results from that era that also compared the 5000 printer with other pigment based inksets. Great resource!

I was hoping for that yellow to be a pigment ink, what a pitty. Will continue looking for something to complete the DIY inkset I'm making for a old R3000.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Those were the days that Epson OEM dye ink was very susceptible to ozone. The only resolution was Epson had "special" swellable papers to extend the life of prints.

Guilherme Maranhao

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'll still be looking for some yellow pigment ink then, for my next project.
I'll certainly give these away, if anyone is interested, I'm in the North of Portugal.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
What type of printer are you planning to use this pigment yellow on ? And which type of paper are you using ? You may have a look to an Epson bottled ink type 113 for an Ecotank printer if you want to use an Epson genuine ink.

Guilherme Maranhao

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
What type of printer are you planning to use this pigment yellow on ? And which type of paper are you using ? You may have a look to an Epson bottled ink type 113 for an Ecotank printer if you want to use an Epson genuine ink.

I'm ressurecting a R3000. I have gotten some old carts T5912 and similars, but I'm missing Yellow pigment ink still. My plans are to make an inkset diluting these inks as I would with the carbon inks in the Eboni-6 inkset.