Are newer 3D printer better ?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
something that will spark some enthusiasm and interest for him... and then let it grow from there
Yes!

My nephew has ADHD. He eventually graduated college with an accounting degree and is married and a great father.

You just never know where life will take you.

I wish your son, his mother and you much joy and sense of pride and accomplishment along the way. :hugs

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It's hard for him and I'm just trying to think outside the box of something that will spark some enthusiasm and interest for him... and then let it grow from there like you said.
Then buy a small 3D printer and use OPENSCAD to design little boxes, squares and circles and let him see them been 3D printed, you can also screen print the code you’ve made in OPENSCAD and print them on a laser and get him to copy them himself into OPENSCAD.. Its small steps, you never know when a light just might come on..

I have a 7 year old grandson with much the same issues and he has come on leap and bounds in school, but when there a holiday break he reverts back very quickly, but with all the encouragement in the world they can become very special people..

I suffer with Dyslexia daily and couldn’t design a single straight line to save my life and 3D printing was a bridge to far for me, but the Boss here, @Nifty posted up a small 3D printer linked to Amazon and that got my light on, now designing the golden Gate Bridge wouldn’t be a problem..

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I suffer with Dyslexia daily and couldn’t design a single straight line to save my life and 3D printing was a bridge to far for me, but the Boss here, @Nifty posted up a small 3D printer linked to Amazon and that got my light on, now designing the golden Gate Bridge wouldn’t be a problem..
The Bridge would be difficult but the lamps for the pillars would be easy, given your illuminating design skils :hide

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
One of your earlier designs?
I said I could design the Feckin Golden Gate bridge, I didn’t say it would perform any better than this one above.. It took me 5 goes to get the Lamp correct…:)

That was a bridge to far..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I could do brain surgery, just not like a trained brain surgeon. :sick

I wouldn't need to spend a gazillion dollars on filament. A steak knife, pliers and some of Mrs. The Hat's thread and needle will do.

bluestang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, EpsonArtisan730
So if you wanted to spend say $300 to $400 dollars or so on a new 3D Printer...what would you choose?

I was originally thinking the CR-6 SE since it has the auto-leveling bed feature, but not sure about the company as it seems the customer support sucks arse if something goes wrong and you're on your own after purchase.

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Not much experience in 3D printing, I just started three months ago, but If my budget for a new printer was up to 300-400 dollars, I'd buy nothing. IMHO, at this price point, 3D printers need too many costly tweaks and improved parts to make them work with reliability and consistent results.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
but If my budget for a new printer was up to 300-400 dollars, I'd buy nothing
I have never based my 3D printer purchase on price, it’s whether I like them or not, feck the price, my bad habits don’t always have to cost the earth.. Some do..

The cheapest 3D printer I bought was only €123 and that only means you get a smaller printing area, and it doesn’t reflect on the reliability, or the quality of the printer, most of the printer parts are all made much the same, so brand names are not an issue.

What I look for in a 3D printer firstly is to be able repair any issues myself and upgrade other parts to make it work better, easily, but a huge plus is the avaibality of spare parts, I found that in the Creality stables, all but one of my printers are from them.

Sometimes getting Tech support can be a problem with software issues, mainly because I usually don’t know where to go to get it, I’m an odd bod, and I don’t use social media where most of the Tech support is and located ..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Why purchase a printer which obviously needs upgrading some basic parts to make it work better and without issues if you can start with a superior model with most of those upgrades already incorporated ?. You'll end up spending even more and get annoyed/frustrated after the tiresome upgrade process.
I feel that this is another thread that might settle in 'we agree in our disagreement' between @The Hat and me. ;)