Are newer 3D printer better ?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
You disagree but at the same time you say PETG is only for parts requiring strength and heat endurance ?..
Never mind, we can agree in our disagreement.. ;)

I never tried ASA/ABS. The infamous toxic fumes are a bit scary. Of course, maybe isn't as bad as some people say.
RIght now, I'm giving a try at polycarbonate. Although interlayer adhesion isn't as good as I expected, it's a really tough and strong material, very resilient to heat (and sadly very expensive too.)

Last edited:

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
No, actually I said I only use it for that, but others use it for many diferent things. The parts I do print are exceptional quality both in look and strength.

All filament is toxic, so don't be fooled into thinking PLA is completely safe, however its a lot safer than ABS for sure. ABS is fine in an enclosed printer but I still would not spend a lot of time in the same room when it's printing as nothing is completely air tight. I have an extractor that vents the printer when finished printing with ABS filament.

Polycarbonate is pretty funky stuff too so take care.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I use an enclosure ( albeit not very hermetic ) but the problem remains on what to do with the fumes remaining inside, once the print is finished. In my case, it would be cumbersome, complicated and not worth the expense IMHO to install an efficient extractor, given the place where the cabinet is located.
Polycarbonate (at least the type I use) has no detectable smell, but that doesn't means much. Lethal gases are often odorless. :sick :D

I really like PETg, don't get me wrong. Some parts require a certain amount of flexibility and heat endurance beyond the possibilities of PLA and this is where PETg shines.